PDA

View Full Version : Did Not Eat

Did Not Eat

amcgltdchix
07-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Ok, so I put Cornbread in is shipping cup with his mouse and left them overnight in his viv. Nothing. He is not interested. He was more interested in just getting out.

When should I try feeding him again?

~slither~
07-30-2005, 07:56 AM
is it the first time refusing food? Wait 10 days minimum, and next time try braining the mouse, and make some slits down its back.
I use tongs to make it look like there's movement by the mouse, give it a wiggle and tempt her with it. It's never taken me more than 5 seconds to get her following the mouse, *touch wood* nevr will take longer.
hope this helps.

SnakeLuvrs
07-30-2005, 08:22 AM
how long have you had cornbread? how old is he?

amcgltdchix
07-30-2005, 08:25 AM
how long have you had cornbread? how old is he?
He will be a month on the 4th. And I have had him for 5 days now. I was going by the last feed the breeder gave him.

amcgltdchix
07-30-2005, 08:26 AM
is it the first time refusing food? Wait 10 days minimum, and next time try braining the mouse, and make some slits down its back.
I use tongs to make it look like there's movement by the mouse, give it a wiggle and tempt her with it. It's never taken me more than 5 seconds to get her following the mouse, *touch wood* nevr will take longer.
hope this helps.

OK, I will wait several more days then feed him. Thanks for the tip!

larryg
07-30-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm not looking to get into a big debate, but I've never heard anything close to 10 days before. Usually at least 3 days or whatever the regular feeding interval is (cerainly not less frequently than every 7 days for a hatchling, maybe as often as every 3 to 4 days.) I would wait 3 or 4 days then try again, considering a live pinkie as a viable alternative, if they are easily available to you. Of course no slitting/braining at this stage of the game. Also, some have better luck feeding in the 'viv'/tank, with newpapers or paper towels instead of wood chips.

amcgltdchix
07-30-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm not looking to get into a big debate, but I've never heard anything close to 10 days before. Usually at least 3 days or whatever the regular feeding interval is (cerainly not less frequently than every 7 days for a hatchling, maybe as often as every 3 to 4 days.) I would wait 3 or 4 days then try again, considering a live pinkie as a viable alternative, if they are easily available to you. Of course no slitting/braining at this stage of the game. Also, some have better luck feeding in the 'viv'/tank, with newpapers or paper towels instead of wood chips.
thanks for the tip!

Lennycorn
07-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Have you given him some time to settle in? I mean without handling. Cornbread just change environments, from little or no handling to alot with a new home. Give him a day or so of no handling than try to feed. More help will chime in and have views too.
Donít worry it will be all right!

Good Luck! :cheers:

SnakeLuvrs
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
I agree with Lenny.. he needs to acclimate to his invironment... give him three days, then feed in the viv on newspaper or paper towel...then next time you feed try in the deli cup and put it in a dark place with no noise (lid on) check on him every 15 min or so... if he still hasnt eaten... leave him in overnight... but you shouldnt have to...

dont worry and good luck

MegF.
07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
There's also the chance that he's about to go into shed, and many of them won't eat if they are. One of the other folks on here had that problem with his new snake. After it shed, it ate like a champ. Just wait until your next sceduled feeding and try again.

amcgltdchix
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I'll will give him 2 days of no handeling(no lights on etc...) and then feed him in his tank on a paper towel :)

Energi2er
07-31-2005, 03:27 PM
mine did not eat for a couple weeks after I got him, because I handled him alot, until I learned he needs to get used to his new home, so I left him alone for awhile, and fed him and he was fine. Also try a live pinky if you can get them, mine took live the first time with no problem.

~slither~
08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
OK maybe I shouldn't of added the word 'minimum', but I still think 10 days is not too long to wait to feed. Corns can survive for weeks/months without food, and 10 days isn't going to hurt him. It should just make him think food doesn't come guarenteed, so he has to take it when it's on a plate.
Just my .02

terrysangel79
08-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I got acouple of hatchlings (they were born on July 9th), anyway I got them about a week and a half ago...One still hasn't eaten, and the other has eaten once...I am not worried...Little ones like that may (IMO) not eat as often, because one (even tiny) pinky is still a pretty big meal for them...

Don't panic yet...just keep trying every few days.

terrysangel79