PDA

View Full Version : Sick snake???? I need help!!!!

Sick snake???? I need help!!!!

amber_marshall75
08-01-2005, 01:24 AM
I have several corns all who have been healthy and eat like pigs. Well I recently acquired a very unusual amel. He almost looks like a candy cane but he doesn't have enough white. Getting to the point though.... I have had him and another one (yellow cream) that I got from the same person for about a month ago. Both are adults yet the cream has eaten 2 times and I can't get them amel to eat the bloodiest mouse I put in there. He rarely comes out to play at night like the rest of my snakes do, actually I don't recall him roaming around at all, then last night there was a horrible stench. When I investigated everyone his tank stunk to high heaven but I could find any fecal matter. I knew he didn't regurgitate cause he hasn't eaten but I couldn't find anything!!!! I knew the smell was coming from his tank but I couldn't locate a source. So today I am looking again and I see a spot on the side that looks just like wet aspen. It just looked like somebody spilled water in that one spot but I know that didn't happen so I am guessing that is what I could smell. I made my son clean it since they are technically "his" snakes. :grin01: Does anybody know what could cause this or what it might be? What should I do? I don't really have the money for vet bills right now. Please let me know and I love how supportive everybody here is.
Thanks,

Amber

Chris Steele
08-01-2005, 01:46 AM
I had a similar problem once, but I really have no clue if thise is yours and honestly, I don't even know much about the sickness. A kingsnake of mine had his sexual organ swell up and it did wreak. Anyway, I don't recall what it's called either, but it was serious.

peep_827
08-01-2005, 07:19 PM
One of my new snakes has suffered from diarrhea. It's mostly yellow and liquid and STINKS to high heaven!!! :eek1: Luckily since I got him from Kathy Love she has been holding my hand in dealing with this problem, and I will tell you what she has had me do for mine (who is now eating and doing nicely, thank you very much! :grin01: ). First, you need to order some Nutribac from Kathy, - http://cornutopia.com/ - and if you explain the problem you are having she can explain to you how to administer the Nutribac. If your snake is not eating you will have to give it to him by syringe. I seriously doubt that I can help you any more than she could, however, feel free to PM me if you would like, I will help you in anyway I can. Having a sick snake is NOT fun, but there is hope! However, I don't think you should let this go much longer before you intervene. Good luck! :wavey:

peep_827
08-01-2005, 07:24 PM
P.S. I forgot to add that Kathy told me that it's possible that the diarrhea could be loaded with Salmonella (this is not 100% sure, but I guess that when a snake's digestive system is out of whack that is the most likely culprit), and to be diligent about sanitizing all objects the snake is in contact with and not to take any chances with my children or other snakes, just as a precaution. I don't know how old your son is, but I just wanted to add that. She also suggested that I quarantine the sick one away from my other snakes, so you might want to do that also.