PDA

View Full Version : Can I breed 2 different sizes

Can I breed 2 different sizes

Anthony
04-09-2002, 09:56 PM
I have a okeetee corn that is between 8-10 months, he is about 2 feet long, I also have a 4 foot ghost corn that is about 2 1/2 -3 years old. I was wondering if i could breed them or i have to wait till my male is older and bigger.

Simon
04-10-2002, 03:23 AM
If the females (assuming that she is the bigger one right?) allows the male to breed with her then it's not that much of a problem. But then some females do actually care the size of their mate....so it really depends. But then trying it out wouldn't hurt.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Elaphe_Mo
04-10-2002, 11:25 AM
It may also depend on whether the male is willing yet.

I've also seen females completely refuse a small (though very persistant) male. Much to the bane of my projects...

Serpwidgets
04-13-2002, 01:41 AM
The female is about 52 inches (4 foot 4) long.

http://serpwidgets.com/cornsnakes/postpics/Vic_Mary_0401_003.jpg

(He's still a lot smaller than her this year.)

Kevin M
04-13-2002, 04:39 AM
As long as your female weighs at least 300 grams then go for.

-Kev

Peter
04-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Serpwidgets, are those two really going at it? I can't believe the size difference! What is the age difference? Whoa he must like a lot of cushion for the pushin'!:D So how old is he there?

Peter
04-13-2002, 05:54 PM
BTW, is that a plain amel or reverse okeetee, and is that a bloodred? What did the hatchlings look like?

Simon
04-13-2002, 06:01 PM
This year my pair of amel and hypo is around that size difference too. My female is around 4 feet something and the male (amel) is around 2 feet. But then I am not as lucky as Serpwidgets, the female is still not a bit interested in breeding yet........

anyway

Good luck and Happy Herping! :D

Peter
04-13-2002, 06:16 PM
Simon, how long are you keeping them together? My females didn't seem interested but the males were persistent and sooner or later got in.

Simon
04-13-2002, 08:18 PM
I have been trying since the end of January (after the burmation shed) and keep them in there for around a day. if nothing happens I take the female out and wait for a week and put them back together. (I usally put the female into the male's tank two days before feeding day. That is put them together for a day and then if nothing happens I put the female back in her tank and wait for a day and then feed them.) But then nothing has happened yet.....I have also tried putting the male in the female's tank, but still nothing happened.....hahahaha

I really don't know what I can do......I guess only wait until the female is ready. Since the male is always ready and wanting to put it in.....hahah

O well.....:D :(

Serpwidgets
04-13-2002, 09:41 PM
See the previous post: Amel X Bloodred = ... Snow! (among other things) (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=61)

He's a '99 amel (het Anery), she's a '97 Blood (het Anery, Amel, Charcoal)

She's the biggest one I've got, and he's only 2 in that pic. She actually got "bored" and started exploring the breeder container while he was still going at it. He ended up crawling around backwards trying to keep up with her. It was really funny to watch. :)

Serpwidgets
04-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Simon
I have been trying since the end of January (after the burmation shed) ...

Simon, don't lose hope. Last year this bloodred waited until the first female's clutch was hatching before she even bred. This was several sheds after "spring" was sprung. Hang in there, and good luck. :)

Simon
04-14-2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the support!!

I will keep on trying until she is finally ready for him to breed.
But when mid May comes I might have to go out and find a male for her and see if she is interested in larger male corns. But I will not lose hope!
hahaha

:D