PDA

View Full Version : Adult Still Refusing to Eat....HELP!!

Adult Still Refusing to Eat....HELP!!

Bug22baby
08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Ok So I have posted before how I could not get my recently purchased male candy cane to eat. Well he still refuses to eat, its now been 6weeks since he last ate at the previous owners place. I have had him for one month and can not get him to eat. The previous owner (breeder) told me that he is usually a very excited eater and never would miss a meal, so much so that he had to be careful opening the tub at feeding time. Well I have tryed feeding in seperate container, smallar mice, rats, feeding in his own viv, left in overnight. Nothing works, he doesnt even seem intrested in food. Hes starting to look somewhat thinner, I think I will weigh him tonight to start watching (just got scale yesturday). The thing is he is VERY VERY active. Anytime I walk in the room hes out. He roams around, he soaks in his water, he has pooped. But he wont eat! He doesnt appear sick, but hes not as aggressive as when I picked him up, he will let me hold him now although I rarely get him out because I want him to eat first,I was hoping maybe someone can give me some advice on how to get a Adult snake to eat he is a 2002 male candy cane. I been trying to feed every 2 weeks, the only thing I havent tryed is a live mouse, but the previous owner never fed live mice to any of his snakes so I didnt think f/t would be a issue. The other thing I was thinking about was to put him with a 2001 Amel female I have who also hasnt been bred this year. I thought of putting him with her because this is exactly how my other male acted during breeding season when he didnt have a mate. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks In Advance.... Amanda

Hjorrdis
08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
My male had no interest in feeding this breeding season because he was very distracted by the scent of my female even though they had already mated. It's very possible that that could be the only problem. I'd suggest moving him to a different room and giving him a few days there before trying to feed him again... and if that doesn't work try a live mouse.

Might just be he doesn't feel like eating. I've heard of corns that decided not to eat for 6 months and were fine... so just relax and keep trying. Eventually he'll eat.

KatieL
08-03-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm sure this probably isn't that comforting in a situation like this, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway. One of my snakes at work was off food for about 4 months - he was in total breeder mode, constantly cruising his viv and trying to escape. He refused food the whole time, and has just 2 weeks ago begun accepting food again. He did lose a little weight over this time period, but apparently he does this every year, and always bounces back right away. So, at least in relation to this snake, 6 weeks doesn't seem super bad...

Good luck with him! :)

Bug22baby
08-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Yes, I know its common for males I had a 03 go off food for 3 almost 4 months before eating this past spring. Im just nervous because I purchased this snake as a healthy eating breeder. And now hes not eating, with having him for just over a month Im nervous still about his health since he has not been eating. Im gonna pull him out tonight give him a check over and a weighing and hope he will begin to eat soon. Thanks Much Amanda

larryg
08-03-2005, 08:56 PM
2 of my 5 Corns will only eat live, regardless of how/what they ate before I got them. It couldn't hurt to try, especially after 6 weeks. People like to pretend that every snake can be easily switched to f/t, but it's not really the case.

Bug22baby
08-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks, I think I am gonna try to feed live. It helped before with a previous male who went off food. I cant attempt till next week for I have to go out of town early tomarrow for a last min family emergency. So hopefully he is just being stubborn and nothing is wrong with him. I will hopefully get him to eat next week and everything will be happy again :)

MegF.
08-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Sounds more like a male in love........You just brought him to the brothel don't ya know! :)