• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Worms?? or what?

lucia

Hello my friends!

Today I got two beautiful corns, BUT one of them is VERY thin, you can see the spine. :(
Both when he moves and lay still. He is very dehydrate. And it looks like he´s tense.

BUT the snake it eating, drinking, and plays with his tongue. Healthy in general. Ohh and he is about 6 years old.

Do you know what it can be?

Attachments

• Nya ormarna 004.jpg
    Nya ormarna 004.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Nya ormarna 006.jpg
    Nya ormarna 006.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Nya ormarna 005.jpg
    Nya ormarna 005.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 115
Hey um guys, I think she was asking what could be wrong with the snake...not what morph it is. ;)

I would say a definite fecal is in order along with a veterinary exam, for sure. It could be parasites, bacterial, who knows. Best way to find out is have tests done at a vet.

WHAT exactly is it eating?

It does look dehydrated for sure. Do you guys have Pedialyte there in Sweden? It's a small child's aid drink for when they're dehydrated due to diarrhea/vomiting. It contains necessary electrolytes to keep everything functioning and enough sugar to provide cellular energy. It does work wonders with ailing animals as well. But I'm sure Gatorade/Powerade would work as well. Just put some in the drinking water, try to get unflavored if you can. I don't think snakes like flavored water. ;)

Do you have any hides for it so that it can get out of the open? Perhaps it's stressed..

Yes of course I know it´s a NICE miami! hahaha

But look at the spine!? sorry it´s bad pictures. :(
No I haven´t try anything yet, he came to me yesterday. Drinks water well, I will try with some powerade or something, thanks!
He eats mouses. Dead.
I have given him medicine for worms, just in case.

I hope he will recover! Its a great snake!

New Picture

Here is a new picture, took it from outside the box.

Attachments

• Miami phase 6 aug. 002.jpg
    Miami phase 6 aug. 002.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 91
Yes, he is quite thin. What are you medicating him with? Are you certain he has worms, and you might want a fecal done to check for parasites (other than worms), which I would think are much more possible. Are you sure the former owner fed him? Maybe he just wasn't fed enough...like every two months or something, and he could have gone of feed for a long while during breeding time. Do you have a history on this animal and do you know the person you got him from.

Yes, it´s a girl who lives in the same town as me, and I didn´t know her before this. I got TWO snakes, the other one is feeling great and are much thicker!
They have lived together for 6 years, and they are also two males.

The miami phase has been this thin for about 2 weeks - 1 month now, she said.

Picture of the other one, he will soon shed as you see. :)

Attachments

• 1.0 Normal 001.jpg
    1.0 Normal 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 64
And IF it´s parasites, HOW do they get them? can only one snake get parasites and not the other, his lifecompanion. :)

I hope they are seperated at this time. I would suggest that the one is stressed from being with the other, and I can also tell you that a snake doesn't become that thin in one month. My amel went off food in the breeding period for 3 months and didn't look that bad. That snake hasn't been eting well for many, many months. If one has parasites, I can pretty much guarantee that the other does. I think it's more that the snake was not getting enough food. I don't think I'd trust what that gal told you. For all you know, it has had a regurge problem. If they aren't seperated yet, I would definitely seperate. Two adult males should never be housed together anyway. Especially during breeding season (and believe me, there doesn't have to be a female around to trigger them). My other question: If these are 6 yr. old adult snakes, why are they feeding on what looks like a fuzzy? My adult male is eating a small rat every two weeks. My adult female is on large mice. Even my yearlings are on small adults.

MegF, I fed them with fuzzies the same night they came, wanted to give them something in the stomach, and see if he was eating. I had no fullgrown mouses at home, just fuzzies. Of course I feed my adult cornsnakes with full grown mouse too! :)

This was just til I get hold of more fullgrown..

Yes they are separate now, that was the first thing to do. I don´t know what to believe, but the girl can´t just feed ONE snake? and leave the other?
It´s strange... :shrugs:

That explains that. Well, she might be feeding both, but if one is overly stressed, it might not want food, or it may be regurging. Who knows. I would have a vet do a fecal if you can. That will tell alot. Keep feeding it in the meantime (i'd feed every 5 days with it in that condition right now) and see if it puts on weight. If it does, it might just mean that it wasn't eating enough.

Yes, I´m feeding him. He´s over stressed. Because he is not weak or something like that, he drinks, he eats, he wee-wee. :)

I hope he will be okey now when he is not living with his BIG friend.

Thanks for your answers!

Kiss?

This situation may not be any more complicated than that the thin snake has been starved. :shrugs: Since both snakes have been kept together, the fat one might simply have been eating all the food. The thinner one may be more passive and not willing to challenge the other for its fair share. Lucia says that the thin one is eating. She would know by now if it has been regurgitating its meals. She doesn't say that it is. Given enough time, regular meals and solitude, this snake might just gain condition and be just fine.

I tend to prophylactically de-worm my snakes. Especially shortly after acquiring them. I concur with the advice already given to have fecal exams done by a vet. One complete worming regimen is a sound plan regardless. Fenbendazole is an excellent and safe agent to use for this.

There is some argument, however, as to whether it is necessary or even beneficial to try and eliminate every potential parasitic intestinal organism in reptiles. Some alleged parasites found in reptiles don't presume disease the same way similar species do in mammals and birds.

One last caveat, it is not sound practice to dose dehydrated, ematiated or ill snakes with harsh medications. Some anti-parasite formulations can be harsh.

Thanks.

The owner before me did feed BOTH snakes. =)
In separate boxes, and BOTH did ate. And didn´t puked after.

I think it can be stress, they are separate and the healthy snake will move in a short time. The other will I keep, I hope it will recover!

Thanks!

I think the thin one will improve more easily if he is fed rats instead of mice.

Also, I'd suggest two or more smaller items instead of one large item.

And finally, I would also suggest cutting slits in the skin on the food items. :)

Good luck and update us as he recovers. :)

Back