PDA

View Full Version : Fed my Hatchling for the first time

Fed my Hatchling for the first time

utne2K
08-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Hey Guys,
Well I have to say feeding was much easier than I imagined. I bought my hatchling on 8/4 and s/he just gulped one today on 8/10. The pic to the left is the little fellow and here is the link to the gallery (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23497)
here on the forum.

I first put him an empty ten gallon tank I have for the future along with the pinkie. I have a book on loan and got some good info on what I think made it so easy on him. The book, The Corn Snake Manual , said to use a small container so the little fellow had no choice to see and smell the pinkie. I used the same little tub he was sold to me in, which I read as a suggestion on the forum, and sat him away from me but so I could still see the pinkie's outline on the clear tub wall. I had sat down for maybe 2 minutes and when I looked over the pinkie was gone!
I kneeled down to check it out and the pinkie was half gone backwards but I'm hoping s/he figures out snout first next time (this pinkie was real tiny anyway). S/he was done less than 2 minutes with the first pinkie meal I have given him. :crazy02:

The book suggest 2 tiny pinkies a week for robust growth. Does that sound right to everyone?

Chris Steele
08-10-2005, 02:05 AM
From what I hear, most people feed 1 pinky every 4-7 days just depending on the person, but if you are wanting robust growth then yes thats about right. I wouldn't go more often than every four days.

colinmcc
08-10-2005, 03:53 AM
I feed one pinkie every 5 days for my hatchlings.

Also, I wouldn't worry about it not taking the food head first. With pinkies they often don't.

Glad he seems to be a willing feeder for you. :)

CornCrazy
08-10-2005, 06:32 AM
I also feed one pink per meal for several feedings, then I switch to 2 pinks. I used to feed my hatchlings every 5 days, but this year have switched to once a week because it is MUCH easier keeping track of when it's time to feed. I have a weird work schedule so it's easier to feed them on the same day each week, too.

jnky
08-10-2005, 08:04 AM
I feed my baby every 5 days and she has on occasion ate ass about face, it makes for a great photo with the mouse head poking out of the snakes mouth :)

BeckyG
08-10-2005, 05:30 PM
When mine were on pinkies, they ate butt first as often as not. Now that they are on mice with hair, the almost always eat head first.

utne2K
08-11-2005, 12:26 AM
I was at my friends house tonight. She bought a hatchling from that same clutch and he ate easily as well. I saw another post here in which a lady is having a bad time feeding her Corn. I wonder if taking to pinkies and captive feeding easily has anything to do with other traits or just haphazard luck? :shrugs:

utne2K
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
CornCrazy,
If you have a chance to see this, would you know if my Corn, my black and grayish avatar, would be a Charcoal or an Anery-A? Can you only tell if yellow appears when they grow?
Thanks in advance.