PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how many pinkies should i feed my snake?

Exactly how many pinkies should i feed my snake?

Taxidermy
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Per week of course..

debcash
08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
How old & how large is your snake?

graffixcs
08-12-2005, 04:33 PM
97 ........ well with details like that how could it be wrong? (just kidding ya)
Give us an approximate size of the snake, length and girth. That will help determine what it needs.

MentallyTwisted
08-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Well I'm gonna tell you about Gus and then maybe someone could tell me if I'm feeding him the right amount. Gus is about 18 inches long and almost 6 months old. He's about the size of a small marker, very large pen or pencil. I'd say he's probably about an inch around in the thickest part of his body.

I feed him one pinkie every 4 days. They're large pinkies. The only time we had a problem with him was the last time he shed. He shows off quite well at feeding time. I honestly believe he likes the attention he gets! The more my son watches and is amazed by him the more active he becomes, yet he's never attempted to bite either one of us. I should have pictures soon. Elijah loves to handle him and he has learned more than I expected.

I wanted his first snake to be a boa or python. I'm quite pleased with Gus. Cornsnakes are all over Indiana and he's getting more than one type of information learning from Gus.

As with Tax, who ever has advice, let me know what you think. I've read about how they can become fat with a small head if they're overfed so I don't want that to happen. I think he'd eat about every day if I fed him.

Thanks,
Mary :)

graffixcs
08-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey there MTM, it sounds like you have a little chow hound there (the snake that is). I would think he could progress up to a small fuzzy mouse at that size you mentioned, and cut the feedings back to one every 6-7 days. I would start with a small fuzzy at first, not being able to see the snake it is a little difficult to say for sure.

As a very general rule, if you can't see a noticeable lump (and I don't mean hugely stretched) after he has eaten a pinky then he could easily go up in meal size. i.e. if you barely notice he has eaten, up the size slightly.

I hope that helps some.

Ohh, BTW, welcome! :wavey:

MentallyTwisted
08-17-2005, 01:44 AM
And Thank-you again!

Thats what I thought but I didn't want him to get choked. I have a couple pinkies left so when I get him food next time I will go up to a small/fuzzy. He's still got a visible lump until it gets almost to his stomach. We will try the next size up and see what happens. Have a good day!

MTM :D