PDA

View Full Version : Problem Feeder

Problem Feeder

amcgltdchix
08-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I have a 6 Week old from SMR (Born 4th of July) and he ate for Don twice and now the little bugger won't eat for me!

Here are my tank stats:

Warm side substrate 84 degrees
Cool side substrate 80 degrees
Tank temp 78 degrees
Humidity 65%
UV/UVB tank light to give full day effect that is on a timer for 12 hours on, 12 off.

There is a coconut hide
terra cotta pot
water bowl (he does drink! I have seen him several times in his water) this is changed every other day

Aspen bedding

According to Don, my tank sounds great.

Tonight I am going to try to feed him again. I have to defrost the pinky, place on deli cup lid in his tank (yes I have cut slits and brained a few) and wait for him to find it and eat it.

Anyone else had similar problems in the past that they'd care to share?

I purchased my frozen pinks at a local pet shop and the pet store guy gave me sh*t about my snake eating thawed food. I basically got ripped a new one and was told to feed it live. BUT I do not want to mess up anything Don has done in the past with this snake, plus I trust him MUCH more, so I purchased my frozen mice and left.

Someone make me feel better that Cornbread will eventually eat! :)

Chris Steele
08-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Do the live ones cost more or something? Thats the only reason I can think of that would make them be like that about it. Anyway, I was just browsing, but this will bump your question back to the top for you since I can't answer it.

Energi2er
08-14-2005, 03:54 AM
My hatchling did the same thing when I frst got him. Would not eat, he didnt eat for the first 3 weeks and I offered food every five days. And someone suggested trying live, so I left him alone with a live one overnight and he finnally ate then I tried F/T and he hasnt had a problem since, and he eats F/T every time now.

So I would say give it some time and keep offering food and maybe he will just start eating for you, and you wont have a problem with him. Maybe try one live one overnight then go back to F/T like I did. Good luck with the lil' guy.

Clint Boyer
08-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Another thing you might try is putting the snake and the f/t pink in a deli cup with the lid on over night. I've found that sometimes they just won't come out of hiding even to eat. If it is confined with the food over night then your chances are much better.

debcash
08-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Ditto what Clint said. I have several snakes that are 'shy feeders' -- they won't touch food in their cage or shoebox, but as soon as I put them in a deli cup with it and leave them for an hour - I have a fat snake and no mouse. (4 out of 33 are this way - maybe it will change as they get older, but for now its the only way they want to eat.) Good luck with your little one!

amcgltdchix
08-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Another thing you might try is putting the snake and the f/t pink in a deli cup with the lid on over night. I've found that sometimes they just won't come out of hiding even to eat. If it is confined with the food over night then your chances are much better.

I have tried that 2x's already and he has not eaten. My biggest fear is that he is going to be afraid of his food.

BladeSting
08-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Step 1:Tease feeding a stubborn baby corn first involves gently restraining in one hand while offering a baby mouse to it in the other. You want the snake to forget the fact that it is being held in your hand.

Step 2: Hold the pinkie inches away from its snout, bumping it against the snake's body-not it's head!-until the corn lunges for it. Cease all motion when the snake connects by sinking its teeth into the baby mouse.

Step 3: Don't move a muscle as the snake decides whether to continue swallowing or releasing the morsel in it's mouth. Let the snake finish swallowing it's meal before setting it down.

amcgltdchix
08-14-2005, 05:12 PM
So I try again in 5 days? Should I buy mouse scent? Or just some mice bedding and do a shake and bake method?

BeckyG
08-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't bother with mouse scent. After a mouse already smells like a mouse. If all else fails, buy an anole and scent the mouse with the anole saliva. I've seen this method recommended many times, but fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet.

stripedamel
08-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi. I have a corn hatchling from South Mountain, born June 27, 05. She ate twice, shed and ate again before Don shipped her to me. Then, she ate three days after I got her and she hasn't eaten now for almost three weeks. I've tried all the techniques except force feeding. She's very active at dusk until about 10 p.m. She drinks. She handles really well. And, she's grown. Her eyes look good and so does her skin. So, I've decided that she knows what she's doing with her young life and that she'll eat when she's ready. I am willing to rely on her genetic instincts for now.

Let me know how it goes for you, amcgltdchix.

By the way, my corn is beautiful and I'm really glad I got her. My friends think I'm crazy. I just tell them it's the dementia that sets in when you turn 50! :)

Mine's name is Cocohua (Aztec for snake/serpent).