PDA

View Full Version : Update and some questions....

Update and some questions....

Jay's Mom
08-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, since my last post, I noticed that our little guy had developed 2 lumps on his back, about half way down his body. First came one lump, and then another. They didn't seem to bother him or hinder his moving about, but they weren't going away. He still hadn't eaten, so we decided the best thing to do was take him back to Petco. As a plug for our local Petco, they were very easy to work with and were appreciative that we brought him back instead of "letting him die" (eeek!) so they can take him to a vet and get him treated for whatever is causing this.

So, my questions are: would it be easier for us to start out with say, a yearling, instead of a hatchling... and what are the pros and cons of buying another snake on the internet vs at a local pet store (Petco is all we have around here.) I know a lot of people are down on Petco, and I understand their reasons, but ours here has been very helpful and seems to care about the animals. And, if we do buy on the internet, can someone recommend a reputable breeder?

Thanks!

debcash
08-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Three of the top breeders are:
www.serpenco.com (Rich Z.)
www.cornutopia.com (Kathy Love)
www.cornsnakes.net (Don Soderberg)
There are many reputable smaller breeders as well - but you can't go wrong with one of the 3 above.

Yearlings are a bit 'sturdier' (and typically more relaxed) than hatchlings - especially with kids. They are a few dollars more, but can be well worth it.

I have purchased 1 snake in a pet store (our first one)- they were knowledgeable, friendly and great to work with and we love the snake- but after researching I realized I paid almost 3x what most of the breeders sell theirs for online.
Since then I have ordered all my animals online. I have spoken with all the breeders I have purchased from online (over 30 snakes) and they have been wonderful to work with. One of the big advantages is the selection with the breeders - you'll have a lot to choose from vs just getting what the pet store gets and you'll know the history on the animal. (The pet stores just get what is sent to them -it could be from several sources, and may have been shipped several times to reach its final destination.)
In my opinion, the only downside to buying on-line is the shipping charges, but in my case what I paid for our first snake at the pet store was as much as it would have been for the snake + shipping from a breeder.

I would research the sights and see what makes the most sense for you.
Best wishes with your next one - let us know how it works out.

Jay's Mom
08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I appreciate your reply. Can you tell me what they ship snakes in? I've never bought an animal and had it shipped; I'm just curious.... how do they make sure it has enough air and that the weather (heat/cold) doesn't get to it?

Thanks!
Lisa
(Jay's Mom)

MegF.
08-14-2005, 09:22 AM
They usually put them in a deli cup type container, and then put them in a cardboard box with padding a newspaper around it. If it's warm or cold where it's going, there might be an additional cool pack or warm pack in there as well. If there's going to be a reptile show near you, you can purchase from a breeder there for much less than a petstore charges. I paid a whole $26 for my first amel at a reptile show.

Jay's Mom
08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I appreciate it. I am actually in the process of ordering a new little snake online; hopefully I can post some pics after he arrives.
Thanks again!