PDA

View Full Version : Best way to switch to frozen/thawed

Best way to switch to frozen/thawed

suzanne
08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
I just bought two new snakes. A corn and a ball python. Both were being fed live prey. What is the best thing to do if they won't eat the frozen? I don't want to feed live.

graffixcs
08-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey suzanne,

First off I would just offer the f/t after a 2 week period, this will allow them to settle in and de-stress some as well as getting them a little hungry. If your feeding methods allow, leave them over night and hopefully "supper" will be nothing but a belly lump.

If that does not work on the second attempt, (3rd week from now) try to tease feed them. Using long forceps and a warm meal item slowly tap the snake about 2/3 way down its body, not on its head as this may make them shy away from the food. Once the snake grabs the item hold VERY still until it either pulls it from you or it starts to swallow the prey, then move very slowly to let go and allow them to swallow.

That will give you a few weeks of trial, hopefully they will start on f/t without a problem, however, I do have a male ball python that flatly refuses anything dead, just be prepared.

I hope this helps.

Missie
08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
im no expert, but why dont you try buying live, and then kill the mice prior to feeding it to your snake. maybe this will help ween them onto f/t by first eating a fresh pre-killed mouse. worth a try anyway. otherwise i'd suggest just offering a f/t and see how it turns out :)

suzanne
08-20-2005, 02:56 PM
I broke down and fed the ball a live mouse. She was acting really hungry. I made my husband do it. She gobbled it up. The corn is happy with her frozen/thawed. I am not gonna give up though. Hopefully I will get the ball to take the dead ones. That live mouse cost me 2 bucks, and thats a little expensive to me. But she is happy as can be right now in her cage. :crazy02:

JTGoff69
08-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey suzanne,

First off I would just offer the f/t after a 2 week period, this will allow them to settle in and de-stress some as well as getting them a little hungry. If your feeding methods allow, leave them over night and hopefully "supper" will be nothing but a belly lump.

If that does not work on the second attempt, (3rd week from now) try to tease feed them. Using long forceps and a warm meal item slowly tap the snake about 2/3 way down its body, not on its head as this may make them shy away from the food. Once the snake grabs the item hold VERY still until it either pulls it from you or it starts to swallow the prey, then move very slowly to let go and allow them to swallow.

That will give you a few weeks of trial, hopefully they will start on f/t without a problem, however, I do have a male ball python that flatly refuses anything dead, just be prepared.

I hope this helps.

This is great advice to help you transfer from live to f/t. I hope it goes well! :wavey:

permethius
08-20-2005, 09:25 PM
you could prabably use something like tongs and prnce it around a littl untill it strikes

zwyatt
08-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I read in another thread on here (can't remember who the post was by) that someone had a bag with some aspen in it where they had had some live mice. They just put the f/t in it for awhile to scent them and that helped alot of the problem feeders. So you can just get a paper bag, put some aspen in it. The next time you buy live mice put them in the bag for awhile. Then the next time you thaw out a mouse put it in the bag for awhile to get some scent and try feeding that. Just make sure no aspen is sticking to it.

MegF.
08-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Just heat them up, put them in the feeder box and let them eat them. Simple as that. Mine switched from live to f/t without even thinking about it. If they need some movement, you can dangle the mouse or tease them with it. Just make sure the mouse is warm.

Blue Apple Herps
08-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Just make sure the mouse is warm.

With mine this is the most important. Even if the mouse is completely thawed, they'll ignore it if it's not warm. By warm I mean it's definately above room temp (but obviously not scorching hot).