PDA

View Full Version : Staying in hide after regurge.

Staying in hide after regurge.

Jasper
08-22-2005, 08:36 AM
All,

Well after the weekend (regurged on Friday), we have noticed that Jasper has almost exclusively been in his hide. Barely moving all weekend, we were concerned for him and at one point lifted the hide, just to see if he would move at all. Thank goodness he did. Is it normal behavior for corns to remain so still and inside their one of their hides after a regurge? I assume it is, because based on the answers I got from Deb and others, it seems that this is very hard on them.

We haven't handled him over the weekend and don't plan to throughout the week. We are also planning on waiting until next Monday or so before feeding as this was the recommendation from everyone regarding feeding after regurge.

We were planning on adding another corn to the viv, after he sucessfully feeds (maybe a week or so later). Would that be a problem? Also, what about adding one that is a few weeks old compared to Jasper being 4 months - any problem with that? Thanks in advance for your comments. :shrugs:

viktoria333
08-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Being a novice owner and all that,i feel that me giving advice is a bit hypocritical,but last week i was asking the same question..The general advice i got was u can,but expect problems..I understand that u plan to get a younger hatchling and propose to house this with your established corn?I wouldn't,just because your established snake may well eat the other one.Clint Boyer has some nasty pics on this,if you look through the forums then find this,the pic sure put me off housing together.I have two amels that are housed separately..I have also been led to believe that housing together is possible,but i'm not going to.Good luck with your snake and if you do get another one Please take the overwhelming good advice and buy a separate viv..Just saying this because of the possible size difference.Iknow i wouldn't want to have one very fat snake and one missing one!Cheers!

jzal8
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey,

Yes, it is normal for a corn to just sit in its hide any time. That regurge may have been caused by stress, and your corn is spending so much time in its hide because it is the one spot it currently feels a little bit of a comfort zone, and will need time before it is confident enough to move around more. I bet plenty of people on this forum will tell you they have adult corns who spend most of their time in their hide, and they allow them to do that because that is where they feel comfortable and the least amount of stress.

As far as adding another corn to that viv, cannibalism debate aside, I would have to say its not a good idea if you know you've already got a stressed out corn who has regurged. Leave him be at least for the time being. Dont handle too often at all (once every few days), and let him try and relax in his hide. IMO if Jasper seems calm and has been eating well by late fall/winter, then you could think about adding another corn to the viv if thats what you wanna do. Or just buy a plastic box to keep it in and then you could expand your collection and let them dominate you life...oops got carried away there! :)

Good Luck

Lennycorn
08-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Kathy love did a nice post on this subject, can't remember where tho.
My take on it short version ,yes you can but you should be experience with snake and expect the worst.

So If you have to ask that question. No you should not houses snakes together.

Just my thoughts

Good Luck :cheers: