PDA

View Full Version : Did I overdo it? (feeding)

Did I overdo it? (feeding)

Slippery Ernie
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I believe my snake to be a little over a month old. He is currently about 13 or 14-inches in length. I bought some really small pinkies to feed him, and gave him one on the 18th. The lump was gone in 24 hours and he was out cruising his cage and pooping in no time. So last night (the 21st) I fed him again. 2 pinkies this time. As far as I know he has not regurgitated. Am I feeding him too much? After reading some more on the forums I get the sense that I should cut it down to 1 pinky a twice per week at the most.

Assuming he doesn't barf, is there any problem with feeding a snake as much as it will eat?

Jessicat
08-22-2005, 03:23 PM
search "powerfeeding"

PtDnsr
08-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Cornsnakes will over eat in captivity. If you do overfeed your snake it can cut down on the lifespan and create health problems. For a hatchling start with one pink every five days or so. Three days in between feedings doesn't give much time and is way too soon IMO. For younger snakes usually every 5-7 days is good and older ones can go every 7-10 days depending on the size of the meal. If you don't think the one pink was enough try a slightly bigger pink next time. Watch your snake carefully because you could be in for a regurge - if so do a search and follow the advice on that.

~Katie

Slippery Ernie
08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Ugh. OK. Well, I hope this single smorgasboard doesn't do any permanent damage to him. I'll definitely cut it back.

Thanks for the advice.

Slippery Ernie
08-22-2005, 04:00 PM
At what point can I stop looking for barfed up pinkies? I mean, how many days after a feeding can a snake regurgitate?

Lennycorn
08-22-2005, 04:34 PM
4 -5 days should do it but you should be able to tell .
It smells.

dwyn127
08-22-2005, 04:54 PM
It smells.
OH YEAH!!!:-puke01: