PDA

View Full Version : question bout lighting

question bout lighting

Corn Crib
08-26-2002, 09:54 PM
what types of lighting do i need, i have heard just a heat lamp and then i have her about those lights that mimic the sun. i have a heat lamp but should i get the other one? thank you

corn crib

0.0.1 snow corn (female named Loki)

Simon
08-26-2002, 11:36 PM
I'd say a heat lamp with infra-red bulbs are great and will do fine!

Others.....might be too costly...

Corn Crib
08-27-2002, 12:13 AM
i have a light that is like a huge black light, what is the other light called that mimics the sun??

corn crib

0.0.1 snow corn (female named Loki)

Iris
08-27-2002, 12:26 AM
just guessing at what you mean...but maybe a UV light?
Corns don't need those

GinnyO
08-27-2002, 08:10 AM
Aren't they also called "full-spectrum" lights?

Neil
08-27-2002, 08:44 AM
Lighting isn't needed for corns. As long as they have the right temperature (provided by a heat mat) then they're fine if placed in a room whose levels of light changes throughout the day. If you're talking about using lights for heating then I would have to strongly disagree. I've just posted on the husbandry and care forum in the thread "A Few Questions" and told everyone why I hate the use of bulbs for corns (no offence to anyone who uses bulbs- It's just my opinion).

GinnyO
08-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Neil. I've been wondering if I should have a light, but my snake seems happy without one and spends most of her time in the cool section anyway! She has never spent more than a few minutes in her warm hide box. The temp in the tank is usually about 75 degrees (sorry, that's Farhenheit) with about 60% humidity. How do you feel about red "night-time" lights??

Neil
08-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Red night-time lights? I don't really see the point but it's up to you- just make sure the tank doesn't get over-heated.

As long as your corn has access to warm-side temps of around 85 degrees then she'll use them when she wants. If you're worried, check the temp to see if it' too warm or too cool and then adjust it if necessary.

GinnyO
08-27-2002, 09:16 AM
I love watching her at night becuz she gets so active, but she's all shy when the light comes on. So I'd heard that the red light doesn't bother them and then you can see them better. Aren't there some that don't add extra heat?