PDA

View Full Version : Shedding/Feeding/Moist Hide

Shedding/Feeding/Moist Hide

Nanci
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi,

I have a 32" wild-caught corn. She last fed a week ago. I didn't see her out and about looking for her next meal when I expected her, so I lifted up her hiding rock, and there she was, in blue (is that what you say?) She has just been laying low- should I not offer her food if she isn't out looking for it? How long from now until she sheds? Should I wait till after her first shed to see if she had problems before constructing a moist hide, or if I give her one now, how big does it need to be?

Thanks,

Nanci

Tracee
08-25-2005, 03:17 PM
A lot of snakes refuse food when blue (yes that's right) but not all of them. Most are quite secretive during this time though, so that's likely why you've not seen her about.

Personally mine never misses a meal except in Springtime when he has other things on his mind, but he doesn't actually come out of hiding when he's blue/pink until he smells mousey :) Again, it depends on the snake. You can offer her food if you want to, or wait until after she's done shedding. One time she might eat and another time she might refuse.. Just don't worry about her if she does refuse.

They usually shed a few days after they have returned to normal visibly. The easiest way to tell is that her eyes will clear up. Then you'll hopefully find all her shed skin 3-4 days later.

You could 'mist' the viv before shedding to increase humidity, or you could make her a moist hide anyway. I've never had to do this myself but I cannot imagine that you could harm the snake by creating a moist hide for her to choose whether she uses or not (someone else can clarify this I'm sure?).

As for the size of the hide, judge yourself by how large the snake looks coiled up, and just a tad larger than that will be about perfect. They like the safety and security of small spaces - not too small though obviously, you want her to get in it!

Do you have more than one hide in there already, by the way?

Best of luck, here's hoping for a trouble-free shed.

Nanci
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Tracee! Yes, she has two hides- one heated and one cool. Plus a bunch of big dried loquat leaves that she hides among or rests her head on like a pillow, when she just has her head out of her hide. She is _very_ laid-back; she likes to lay stretched out along my arm, motionless, for as long as I will let her, and watch TV with me! Hard to believe she was a wild animal only a couple months ago. But she's been like that ever since I found her.

Nanci

Jessicat
08-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Hard to believe she was a wild animal only a couple months ago.

maybe she appreciates having a stable territory which receives no intruders (except maybe your hand! :rolleyes: ) and a continuous source of food ;)

Joejr14
08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
No reason to mist or create a moist hide unless she has problems shedding.

Nanci
09-02-2005, 05:16 PM
So this is what I did: Made her a moist hide with damp paper towels. She never went in. (This is after her eyes cleared- same day.) Fed her a mouse. Even though she wasn't out prowling which is her usual hungry behaviour, as soon as she smelled it, out she came! She shed the next day, but in pieces. I examined the pieces and her to make sure it was complete. It was. But I think next time I will raise her humidity and mist her, as well as provide a moist hide, is that right?

Nanci

Roy Munson
09-02-2005, 06:11 PM
So this is what I did: Made her a moist hide with damp paper towels. She never went in. (This is after her eyes cleared- same day.) Fed her a mouse. Even though she wasn't out prowling which is her usual hungry behaviour, as soon as she smelled it, out she came! She shed the next day, but in pieces. I examined the pieces and her to make sure it was complete. It was. But I think next time I will raise her humidity and mist her, as well as provide a moist hide, is that right?

Nanci

What kind of heat source do you use, lamps or under-tank heating? Lamps can really dry out an enclosure. Humidity above 50% should be fine. Even with lamps you can achieve this with water bowl placement and ventilation manipulation. I like to make sure that my snakes are comfortable all the time, not just when in shed.

Nanci
09-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi Roy,

I have an under tank heater. And I live in FL- nice high humidity with the daily rain. Our AC is off 12 hours a day (or it will freeze up) so that isn't removing all the humidity. And she has a big bowl of water. I do not have a humidistat, however. Maybe it's time to invest.

Nanci

cka
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
How long have you had her?...I would just see if the next shed is also not one piece before I'd worry about adding a humidistat...If you have an open screen lid you can cover 1/2 to 2/3 of it with plastic tarp to help hold humidity in...Between the humid hide and a big waterdish, plus Florida weather, your humidity level should be fine...If you havent had her long in captivity her bad shed could just be a factor of livin' in the wild...We get used to seeing perfect sheds from snakes kept in "ideal" conditions...no stress, and i'd love to see a pic of her :*)

Nanci
09-03-2005, 06:35 AM
I guess I've had her a couple months. This was her first shed in captivity. Her skin is in very good condition- she only has one scar that I can see (and feel). She's so sweet- last night I took her outside with me to see if we could spot the little racer (no) and to hunt crickets for the glass lizards. She just wrapped around my hand and held on tight and looked all around. No indication that she'd rather be back in the wild. I'll try to get some better pictures of her. It's hard to photograph snakes!

Nanci

Tracee
09-03-2005, 09:58 AM
She sounds really well-adjusted and content. Out of interest, why did you decide to take her home?

I would agree with the comment about waiting for the next shed before investing in further equipment. You found all the pieces of skin, so she did actually manage to get it all off, just not in one long piece. There must be plenty of rough surfaces in there for her to have done this which is great. Just keep the water bowl topped up so she can bathe if she wants to, and she's good to go!

Nanci
10-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Update: Maizey's Second Shed

So it's been a couple months, and Maizey went into hiding again and I knew she was going to shed. I put the moist hide back in, this time filled with damp moss. I also covered all but a couple inches of the screen top with plastic wrap to keep the humidity in, and of course she had a full, large bowl of water.

She never went into the moist hide, but shed in the late afternoon, all in one piece. And now Maizey with her newly refreshed skin has discovered the moist hide and is contentedly curled up in it.

Nanci