PDA

View Full Version : New Snake hasn't eaten yet - Help!

New Snake hasn't eaten yet - Help!

SnakeMom
08-27-2002, 01:11 PM
My daughter bought a common corn snake over two weeks ago - approx 2 1/2 weeks old at time of purchase.....we put a pinky in her cage a week ago today - left it for 3 days and the snake didn't eat it.....how long can a snake go without food, should I try something else?:confused:

bmm
08-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Well for one did you purchase this hatchling as eating?

Here are some suggestions:
1. Leave her alone for a couple days, no holding her. Then place her in a small dark box or bag, no escapeable with thawed pinkie. Leave her overnight.

If this doesn't work
2. Try placing her in bag/box overnight with a thawed pinkie which has been brained. This means expose some brain, or blood by making a small cut. The smell of the blood and other fluids can drive the nuts for eating!

And you really shouldn't leave prey items in a cage for 3 days! Overnight would be the maximum as they go very bad very very fast and your corn wouldn't touch this decaying animal.

good luck!
bmm

Rainey
08-28-2002, 12:50 AM
good sound advice bmm!

kris (UK)
08-28-2002, 10:53 AM
... also, if this doesnt work dont worry too much as corn snakes can go for months without food, however, it will be more healthyer if it does eat!!

Kris

SnakeMom
08-28-2002, 11:50 AM
Thanks BMM. . .we will try that. FYI the pinky we used was alive - should we be using dead ones? And what is the maximum time to leave the snake alone in the dark container with its food?

Braining huh? Never thought I'd have to do that - heard about it - but never imagined myself performin labotamys on Rats.....My Boa is so easy in comparison to this snake.;)

Rainey
08-28-2002, 12:32 PM
You should try to get your corn used to dead food. the max time you should leave your corn with its food is over night 7-9 hours.

I haven't had to brain mice but I have heard that it works amazing!

Rainey