PDA

View Full Version : Diseases Transmitted by Corns

Diseases Transmitted by Corns

Jessica1388
08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know of any diseases corns can transmit to humans and dogs? Is it common? And is it really important to wash your hands everytime after you hold one? I'm a bit of a germ/clean freak so I was just curious.

ashleynicole
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
i don't know about snakes, but i don know that small rodents (mice, rats, squirrels, rabits,) and birds harbor Toxoplasma Ghandi which causes toxoplasmosis (very bad for pregnant women) which is why they tell pregnant women not to come in contact with cat litter because cats get toxoplasmosis from eating birds and rodents and it is passed into their feces. Although if you have an indoor cat ONLY and you have them checked for toxoplasmosis, you don't have to worry about it (all my cats are indoor only and have been tested negative)

Anyway, i think there would be a similar risk of toxoplasmosis with snakes because they do eat rodents. However most rodents you buy are captive bread for ages so they SHOULD be parasite free right??? Still always a risk so a good rule of thumb is to wash your hands before and after handling

Of course, im a Nurse so i am a hypochondriac and im Obsessive compulsive about washing my hands.. LOL. So take my advice with a grain of salt, but i always wash my hands after handling.

Roy Munson
08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Salmonella.

Jessica1388
09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Salmonella.
How common is it that corns could transfer that? What would cause it?

ashleynicole
09-01-2005, 01:22 PM
all reptiles run a risk for Salmonella if i am correct... but i too am curious as to how common it is... especially in an capitive bread and kept reptile.. how would they pick something like that up?

Roy Munson
09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
I did a search on this very 'health issues...' forum. Here was just one of the many threads that were listed:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22456&highlight=salmonella