PDA

View Full Version : two pinkies or one fuzzie

two pinkies or one fuzzie

Diablo29
08-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi all I've got a corn i've had for about 2 months(so i'm guessing he is around two months old) who is about 18 inches, and has been steaadily eating one pink every 5 days. I am going to try moving him up to fuzzies, but I was thinking of trying him on 2 pinks first. Is it a good idea to try him on 2 pinks first, because somebody told me to go straight to fuzzies the reason being that if I tried to feed him another pinkie as he were digesting the first that it might not work since corns are irretable while their eating/digesting, and that it would just be bad for him. So I was just wondering what is the best thing to do? Thanks

Lennycorn
08-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes,
One pinky then two then one fuzzy then two. One hopper ....etc etc.
Your on the right track.

Tracee
09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
somebody told me to go straight to fuzzies the reason being that if I tried to feed him another pinkie as he were digesting the first that it might not work since corns are irretable while their eating/digesting, and that it would just be bad for him
I personally wouldn't agree with this statement exactly. Some are irritable and some aren't, the number of food items you offer him shouldn't affect this. You could put both pinkies in together so you aren't 'interrupting' his feeding by offering the second one during. Please do move up as soon as he is ready for fuzzies though, reason being they are so much more nutritional.

Rorryy
09-03-2005, 04:14 AM
I recently asked a similiar question on this forum. If I remember correctly it was titled Too Much? I got some good feedback you might search it. I have moved up to 2 pinkies every 7 days offered together and my snow downs them both in less than 5min with no problems so far(3 feedings). I think someone said they are good on pinks for the first 6-9 months. Good luck

Dminor9
09-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Instead of two pinkies, the owner of Herpeton(exotic pet store close to my house) said to move up to fuzzies. Like stated earlier, they are more nutritional. My snake had no problem with it. Actually seemed more satisfied.

JTGoff69
09-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I personally go with 2 pinkies for a few feedings before trying to move them up to fuzzies. They seem to get wider and the transition seems less harsh, but that's JMO. I do the same with every food size. :shrugs:

Susan
09-05-2005, 12:10 AM
I think alot could depend upon the size of the pinkies, the fuzzies, and the snake. Sometimes, I find that a prey item somewhere inbetween would actually be best for the size of the hatchling, but that size isn't always available. In these cases, I prefer feeding 2 pinkies (usually slightly smaller, but together they make the proper size) over a fuzzy (that may be too big) for awhile until the snake gets a little bigger.

Diablo29
09-05-2005, 01:41 PM
thanks everybody, i tried 2 pinkies and he took them down nice and quick without a problem, so i'll probably move up tp fuzzies soon

wildernessey
09-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I moved up to a small fuzzy as soon as my snake(s) would take them. Except for my very first snake, I don't believe I've ever fed two pinks.
I too, heard that as soon as possible to get them onto fuzzies as it's way more nutritional for them.
I just posted about my finicky baby who liked to skip two and three meals in a row and them eat a pink. I just switched him over to fuzzies and while he's got a nice bulge from it, he's not over-eating on it. And it seems to be helping him gain back some of the weight and length he's missed out on by being so picky before.
Good luck to ya!!!

COMPOSITE CORNS
09-09-2005, 01:35 AM
In my experience...I like to feed more of smaller meals.
I say if you have the pinks available and cost isn't a concern.
Feed two pinks.
If a snake can eat a fuzzy, I feed it 2 or 3 pinks.
If a snake can eat a weanling mouse, I feed it 2 or 3 fuzzies.
....every 5 days.
This and plenty of ambient warmth will make a snake grow VERY quickly.
Just throw all the mice you want to feed'em in the cage and leave it alone for a couple hours...

The exceptions to this method are:
a snake may miss a meal here and there....usually not a biggie as long as they arn't regurgitating :-puke01:
It doesn't hurt to deliberately skip a meal every 7 or 8 feedings...this lets them "take a breather"
preweanling size mice are rich in fat...if your snake has a bloated appearance all of the time, it is probably overweight
you will be able to see skin streched between the scales
this isn't good, and feeding needs to be reduced and/or older mice fed
only feed this heavy if you really want to have your snake grow as quickly as possible...otherwise feed one appropriately sized meal every 5 to 9 days