PDA

View Full Version : Handling Fussy Eaters

Handling Fussy Eaters

zwyatt
08-31-2005, 05:52 PM
I was hoping that those with good experience with many hatchlings could help me out on whether or not fussy eaters should be handled. I have one '05 hatchling (very defensive, strikes at me) that I got last Tuesday who has refused twice and I haven't been handling her. But I have another (very active and "personable") that ate the first time food was offered, but refused this last time when it was feeding day. So should hatchlings that are hit and miss be handled regularly or should I avoid handling and see if maybe more time alone will help out the eating situation? Thanks

MegF.
09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
You might want to make sure that the lack of appetite is not from something more mundane like it's going to shed. I thought my new Green Tree Python was a rather lackluster eater, but after she shed, she turned into a very aggressive feeder. I have a couple of my corns that won't eat at all during pre-blue, blue, or pre-shed phase. Afterward, they eat fine. For your more nervous bitey snake, I'd handle less. I had one like that. As she got older and larger, she mellowed considerably, and became much more aggressive a feeder. I used to have to put her in a rubbermaid container with paper towel to hide under, hide the mouse under it with her, close the lid and keep it fairly dark. Now, I can put her in there, shake the mouse a bit and she really grabs and constricts. I even had to resort to putting paper in her viv and feeding her there at first, she was so shy. They do get better most of the time.

zwyatt
09-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a shed. I'll have to keep my eye out for any other signs. The aggressive little one (who hasn't eaten yet) had a fresh shed skin in with her when I went to feed her for the first time. But regardless, she still didn't eat when offered a few days later and is still snippy. I'll just be patient. :) Thanks again