PDA

View Full Version : lack of eating concern

lack of eating concern

Dragon
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Pam\Desktop\snake I have two young corns, each about a foot long now, one regular and one snow. I got them on Aug 24th, fed them their first ftp on Aug 29th with no problems. Since then, my snow (Boo) has eaten 3 more ftp's but my regular one (Dragon) hasn't eaten at all. He is drinking water but not interested in food at all. Dragon shed the day after he ate his last pinky, no problem, all in one piece, beautiful. Although I haven't tried braining the pinky, the last one I offered him was a bit mushed w/ blood coming out. Still nothing, I left it in his cage with him all night last night and still nothing. Any other ideas.....??

Dragon
09-09-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm obviously new to this whole forum thing, how do I attached a picture to my thread?

Roy Munson
09-09-2005, 01:28 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Pam\Desktop\snake I have two young corns, each about a foot long now, one regular and one snow. I got them on Aug 24th, fed them their first ftp on Aug 29th with no problems. Since then, my snow (Boo) has eaten 3 more ftp's but my regular one (Dragon) hasn't eaten at all. He is drinking water but not interested in food at all. Dragon shed the day after he ate his last pinky, no problem, all in one piece, beautiful. Although I haven't tried braining the pinky, the last one I offered him was a bit mushed w/ blood coming out. Still nothing, I left it in his cage with him all night last night and still nothing. Any other ideas.....??

Welcome. To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi: "Use the 'search', Luke." If you use the search in this forum (Health Issues/Feeding Problems), you'll find dozens and dozens of suggestions that deal with feeding problems. Heck, page one of the H.I./F.P. forum probably has dozens alone! Good luck.

Roy Munson
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm obviously new to this whole forum thing, how do I attached a picture to my thread?

Go to the "How do I..." forum at the bottom of the main forums listing. There will be a number of threads that can guide you through this.

Dragon
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I think I figured out the picture thing. Thanks. Here is Dragon & Boo and their home. Any advice....

daisy
09-09-2005, 02:42 PM
If you're searching for other stuff, you might want to consider searching for 'cohabitation'. There are MANY long winded (and often emotional) views on housing your snakes toghether. Having them both together MAY be a part of the feeding problem with your second snake. Then again it may not. Always better to be informed!
Good luck!

Tracee
09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I might be wrong because it's not very clear, but it sounds as though you might be offering food more often than the snakes require.

Boo's obviously not bothered by this and eats whatever s/he can get! You do run the risk of 'conditioning' Dragon to refuse food the more often you offer it though.

I certainly wouldn't be worried yet as it is little over a week since Dragon last ate and they can go much much longer without food. They look a good size in the pictures and should not need to be fed every few days. As a rule, as you increase the size/number of food items, you also increase the time between feedings.

Dragon
09-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the info on the cohabitation issue. I was told when I got them that generally canabalism issues arise when they are fed together. I always remove them from their large tank and put them into a smaller individual one to feed. Maybe it was my bad, but I kinda also figured if I fed them every 4 days or so instead of them being really hungry after 7-10 days there wouldn't be as many issues either. I was told Dragon is a male and Boo is a female. They are from two different breeders although they are within 1 week of age of each other. They were together in one small tank for 5 days when I first got them before I removed them and fed them the 1st time and they both ate great!!. Now in their large tank, although they sometimes separate into their own spaces, generally they are coiled up together as 'buddies'.