PDA

View Full Version : Pinkies too big????

Pinkies too big????

Viados23
09-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Just wandering what to feed my new baby corn. The smallest pinkie I can find around here ar like twice as big if not bigger the the snake is anywhere. Is there something else I can feed her till she grows a little bit more. The local pet store said that the pinkies were going to be to big for her. but didn't really know much about corns and anything else they can eat. Please help.

MegF.
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
A newborn pinky, or a day old, should be fine. You'd be surprised what they can down, even when they're tiny. I wouldn't worry overmuch. Try the smallest you can find, or buy frozen and cut the pinky lengthwise before thawing. It's messy, but can be done. I'd be willing to bet that your little one can get a small pinky down more easily than you think. Where did you get her? I'm surprised that they are selling hatchlings that are so small that they can't even eat a normal pinky. How many times did your girl feed before they sold her to you?

Viados23
09-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I got her (I think, will post pics soon) at a store called pet supplies plus in Lima, Oh. They were on sale for $30 and didn't know what kind or sex they were, all they knew is that they were corn snakes and he said the pinkies they had were to big. I would say its a female because of being thicker towards the tail and she looks like a reverse oketee, shes about 9 inches long and the pet store had them for a little over a week and hadn't fed her yet, seemed kind of wrong so thought I would take her to a nice home with me. I will go to another pet store around and check for day olds. and if it comes down to it I will feed her one cut in half like you mentioned.
Also I just caught a wild snake, it looks like a crimson corn but being in the area I am i didn't think it would be a corn but possibly a milk snake. He was very hostile when I caught him and then after holding him and him trying to bite me abunch he seemed to calm down to me. Just wandering if this had a good sub-forum on milk snakes or where I should look for info on them. Thanks.

PtDnsr
09-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Another thing to try is pinky heads (yet another disgusting prospect). I actually have a corn that I don't think could get a pink down right now. She's a 3 gram freebie. Then again I have another 4g snake that finally took a pink today - took her ten minutes or more to get it down but its possible. I've also read about people using rat tails but I'm not positive and they're not nearly as nutritious.

~Katie

dwyn127
09-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Sept 24th in Columbus, the All Ohio Reptile Shows. You'll be able to get any size mouse you can imagine.

Go to www.allohioshows.com (http://www.allohioshows.com/) for information.

Viados23
09-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Well thanks for the link on those shows I am surely going to be at the oct. 22 one but hopefully I make it to the sept. 24 show.

Viados23
09-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help. I gave my corn a small pinkie about twice the size of her and she took it down quick, then went searching for another. My milksnake on the other hand wouldn't eat. He is real small but didn't even seem interested. Is there something else I could feed the milk.