PDA

View Full Version : baby corn

baby corn

medic2
09-14-2005, 11:44 AM
I woke up last night to the sound of the Lab barking and barking...She is right outside my window so I yelled at her to hush. she did, for a few seconds and then right back to barking. I finally got up and got dressed, found a flashlight, went to the back door. This whole time she is still barking but now it sounds like she thinks something is going to get her. I go outside and find her looking at her feet and dancing around, still barking. The kids found a baby copperhead Saturday so the first thing I thought was maybe it was another one of those. Nope, it was a little baby corn. it had part of a lizard still hanging out of its mouth. Where it found a tiny lizard in the middle of the night I dont know. The snake acted like the dog wasnt even there. It finished swallowing the lizard and started to crawl off. This really upset the dog so I went in her pen and caught the snake. This made everything Ok. The barking finally stopped. I know my neighbors were relieved. I will keep the baby for a while and see how it turns out.

Roy Munson
09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Do you have any photos? I always like to see specimens right out of the wild.

medic2
09-14-2005, 12:08 PM
No pics yet. I just put it into a box and went back to sleep. I figured after the stress of the dog and having just eaten that I should leave it alone for a while. I am at work today so its home alone and quiet. Tomorrow when i get home (if the hurricane behaves) I'll try to get some pics. It looks like a new hatched baby, about 10" and kinda thin. I have a new litter of mice pinks so hopefully it will try one of those. The lizard didnt even make a small lump.

Roy Munson
09-14-2005, 01:17 PM
No pics yet. I just put it into a box and went back to sleep. I figured after the stress of the dog and having just eaten that I should leave it alone for a while. I am at work today so its home alone and quiet. Tomorrow when i get home (if the hurricane behaves) I'll try to get some pics. It looks like a new hatched baby, about 10" and kinda thin. I have a new litter of mice pinks so hopefully it will try one of those. The lizard didnt even make a small lump.

Good luck. I don't know what it is, but there's just something very appealing to me about raising a wild-caught hatchling. I found a standard eastern king hatchling in TN years ago, and was able to do this, but I've never had the opportunity with a corn. :)

medic2
09-14-2005, 03:51 PM
It shouldnt be a problem getting it to eat. At least I know it eats lizards. There are lots of them. If it wont switch to mice then i'll just let it go. we have lots of snakes in the area so there must be a good food supply. I usually see a snake in the yard on a regular basis. Its getting dry here (no rain from Ophelia) so I guess they are looking for water. I will try it on a pinky and see if it shows any interest.

JenC
09-16-2005, 01:14 PM
hows the baby doing?!

CJBianco
09-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Are you in the Upstate area? I live in Spartanburg a few miles from my step-father. His property has plenty of snakes, too. I've found black rats, black racers, ringnecks, and green tree snakes. Mostly in his basement or just outside. No cornsnakes, though. Oh, well. I haven't really LOOKED for snakes much. I just sort of found them. Maybe I need to learn a good cornsnake call. =)

Chris

medic2
09-20-2005, 07:15 PM
the baby is doing great. It ate a pinky with no problem. If it wouldnt eat i was going to let it go in an area that has lizards. It seems to be settling down well. I still dont know if i will keep it. I will post pics soon. I didnt want to bother it until it had a chance to digest the pinky.

I am not in the upstate. Know anything about the Pee Dee area?

SnowCorn87
09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I can't even imagine living where there are wild corns slithering around. It just seems so crazy, lol. Very cool find, hope it works out for you. Can't wait for the pics.

Nick

medic2
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I finally got some pics of the baby corn and a couple of the eastern hognose baby too.

hediki
09-29-2005, 03:25 PM
there so cool, looks like u have a red phase e. hognose i think.

dionythicus
09-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I have never seen a hoggie with that pattern or color! It's fabulous! So is the corn, but that hoggie is to die for.

medic2
09-29-2005, 04:05 PM
the baby hog was looking for water I think. I put it in a container with water and thought it would never stop drinking. It has been really dry here and its probably hard to find

Roy Munson
09-29-2005, 06:04 PM
In the comfy confines of captivity, that corn's going to grow up to be a looker. You are keeping him/her, right? It would be a crime not to! :)

Camille
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
omg the corn is so cute :). All we have are green snakes,garter snakes and grass snakes here.

whatisntseen
12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Hell.. I live in South florida and all I see are the occasional garter snake, ring neck, blind snake, and if I head to my friends house, maybe a couple of black racer sheds. I have come across an eastern glass lizard before, which resembles a snake since it lacks legs.... I also claim two green iguanas that have made my yard home (particularly for the pool) since someone let them go a while back, boy how theyve grown!! I have yet to find a corn in nature though, if I do, and its young and nice, I'll probably end up keeping it given I have the proper material athand to do so.. I know that there's plenty to eat around here for her..

NI GUY
01-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Stunning little guys you have there.Wish we could catch wild snakes here in Ireland.