PDA

View Full Version : feeding new items veggies

feeding new items veggies

nicky
04-10-2002, 08:36 PM
hello,
I was wondering can I feed my snake (corn) other things beside pmice? How about veegy's? how about bannans and alfalfa sprouts? Tomatos? Are they carnivles? Would they except veggy's? Any I should avoid cuz of vitemans?
any help appricated?

also I was thinking of using alflafa sprouts looks like grass sorta to decorated my corns cage and make it look more natural could my corn still eat it?

LizS
04-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Snakes are strictly carnivores. They eat live or freshly dead animals. Corns eat vertebrates, like mice, anoles (lizard), etc. Other species of snake will eat insects, some eat eggs. Their teeth and digestive systems are designed for animal meals, not vegetable. They are not like iguanas that are primarily vegetarian, and have a different physiology to process vegetable matter.

So, as boring as it may seem to us omnivorous humans, corns can eat mice all their lives and be quite content.

CornsnakeKeeper
04-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Good explanation Liz.
She's right, Nicky.
Don't bother trying.

nicky
04-10-2002, 09:59 PM
:D thanx liz and cornsnakekeeper:D
yup that was a good exsample. Just wondering oh well as long as my baby(my adorble cornsnake) is happy I'm happy!:)
I guess he unlike the rest of us maren't forced to eat veggy's:p sigh,oh well:rolleyes: see ya and thanx;)

:cool: :cool: corns rule:cool:

Kevin M
04-11-2002, 05:35 PM
If you want a pet that will eat just about anything, get a Nile Monitor. Theyll eat cotton candy if you let them. :)

-Kev

nicky
04-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Cool,
would they really? Oh wait there supposed to be a bit dangerous aren't they? Maybe when I'm older(15) or something. That would be cool. but I was more thinking a savanha moniter I like them better. Do you have a moniter? Wow cottencandy.. Wouldn't that be bad for them? Well anyway thanks for the cool tip!
oh I know this isn't about corns but oh well It's about herps.

Kevin M
04-11-2002, 08:32 PM
I never let my Niles eat cotton candy, But if I let them, They would. :) I dont have Niles any longer. many moons ago I did, But I found them too be too grouchy and I just didnt have a knack for them or the space. Nice friendly beardeds and corns are my game now. (Andn they take up less space!)

-Kev

kenalotia
04-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Our iguana loves to eat any kind of meat, burritos (of any sort), pasta, cheese, eggs, and lots of other stuff that's really bad for him. We don't let him have more than a bite every once in a great while, but burritos are still his absolute favorite food. :)

He also likes fruits, some vegetables, and most leafy greens (good for him). Never tried cotton candy, but he'd probably enjoy it.

K

nicky
04-11-2002, 08:43 PM
I'd probably like a cute beardie rather than a moniter. Even thoe moniters are cool. I've got no room for more herps but if i did i'd get a crimson corn form rich probably but i've got no room for one and no money.

nicky
04-11-2002, 08:46 PM
wow an iguna that eats burritos!:eek: wow cool!:D That's amazing. It's so funny to here about everyones herps. I wish the whole world would exceopt them rather than have the human society down are backs trying to get rid og herps. Oh well LONG LIVED HERPS! does anyone else have any herps beside corns?

kenalotia
04-11-2002, 08:55 PM
From what I can tell, just about everyone who's met our iguana has been very accepting. More than accepting. Last summer we took him out for a walk on the town commons. (He rode on my boyfriend's shoulder.) More than half the people we passed stopped to comment and wanted to pet him. Some of them wanted to try to feed him whatever food they had on them.

I haven't tried this with a snake for a couple of reasons. One, I'm much more worried about a snake escaping, and two, people tend to have greater fears about snakes. In reality, our iguana could hurt people a lot worse than a corn snake could, if he wanted to. He's well equipped to defend himself, with sharp claws, a whip-like tail, and sharp teeth. It's extremely unusual for him to try to hurt someone (I can't remember the last time he tried), but he definitely has the capability. But then again, so do dogs, and not many people are afraid of them.

K

jim
04-11-2002, 11:09 PM
the only herp i own other than my snakes is an iguana. he also will eat anything you let him. (not that he gets anything on a regular basis other than his fruits and veggies) he absolutely loves crickets. once a onth just as a snack he gets a couple of crickets. he is leash-trained and loves to be outside and go for walks. when he gets tired he just climbs up the back of my leg and rides on my shoulder. he can stay perfectly still up there to the point where many people don't believe he is real. i once brught him into wegmans (a local grocery store) with me (on my shoulder) to pick up some veggies. most people thought he was fake and noone said anything until while in line i put his veggies on the counter to be rung up. he must have thought i was giving them away and wasn't having any of that. off my shoulder he went, right onto the conveyor belt!!!! plop!!! i think he was trying to grab the bag of greens and run with it, but i had ahold of his leash. you know the kid in the movie home alone when he puts the after shave on his face??? that is the same look and scream i got from the cashier....
needless to say, ziegfried (my iguana) no longer shops at wegmans. :) ...enjoy!!!---jim

Iris
04-12-2002, 03:10 AM
Lol what a funny story! If I ever got another herp it would be a bearded dragon but I don't think I would be able to keep up with its needs...So yeah, I'll just stick with snake(s). And a dog and a cat in the very very distant future. And a cockatiel.
Did I ever mention that I like animals??;)

nicky
04-12-2002, 08:12 AM
Aww that's so cute. Yup you got to love animals.

bozoskeleton
04-13-2002, 10:05 AM
This thread reminds me of the episode of "Futurama" where the hippies taught their lion to eat tofu. I guess you had to see it.

Bryan