PDA

View Full Version : growth potential

growth potential

Traci
04-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Will the size of the cage hamper or determine the length of a snake? I have a 20 gallon long tank and my snake is a year and a half and he is about 30" long. Will I need to buy a bigger tank later? Thanks for the info.

CornsnakeKeeper
04-10-2002, 09:46 PM
A 20 gallon tank will suffice it for it's lifespan.
However, it probably won't be able to stretch out completely and you may feel a little guilty. You can tell if it will need a larger cage. They will continue to grow until the are miserable if you were to keep it in a real small cage. However, most books say that a 20 gallon tank is perfect for an adult corn. Just remember to take it out for some exercise.

Ares
04-10-2002, 11:06 PM
if u take it out for exercise then does it really matter if the tank is small?
Cause when I first got my snake some breeders told me that a ten gallon
would be ok as long as u took out the snake and let it exercise and give it water to swim.

absolutneil
04-11-2002, 11:46 AM
I think a 20Long should be plenty for 1 adult corn

Pyro
08-03-2003, 02:23 AM
I feel guilty when he cant stretch fully out and have room to move around alot, so I'm making my dad build me a 75 gallon tnake, its gonna be tall and long to, so he can climb, right now i have him in a 20 long though

CornCrazy
08-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Ares
if u take it out for exercise then does it really matter if the tank is small?
Cause when I first got my snake some breeders told me that a ten gallon
would be ok as long as u took out the snake and let it exercise and give it water to swim.

For an adult corn??? A 10-gallon tank is definitely NOT OK! The corn would be miserable because it would have no room to move. Also, you wouldn't be able to give it a temperature gradient because it would be VERY difficult for the snake to ever be on one side or the other.