PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Scenting

Tuna Scenting

emkovar
09-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I was just reading a thread regarding non-feeders. In this thread one of the suggestions was tuna scenting. I did a quick search and found that this was often a suggestion for non feeding babies but very few people had succes with it or experience with it.

I wanted to share my experiences with tuna scenting.

I currently have a 2 year old anery corn called "Tuna" , as her name would imply she was a non feeder who started eating tuna scented pinkies. After our experience with "Tuna" we have started using the Tuna scenting technique with some of our other non feeders and have had mixed results. Right now we have a hatchling African House Snake eating tuna scented and im going to try a non feeder Pueblan Milk on tuna scented as well. It does take a little while to switch them back over to normal pinkies but they do eventually go back (Tuna ate scented pinkies for about 2 months). Of course like all scenting meathods some snakes don't like tuna, its kinda hit or miss.

If you are going to try tuna scenting i would recommend freezing the juice and just rubbing your pinkie (frozen thawed or live) on the surface of the frozen tuna juice. This eliminates the need for cracking a new can of tuna everytime you want to feed.

(Yes, we do take in a large number of non feeders from our local breeder. We have no intention of using any of these snakes in further breeding projects.)

Rorryy
09-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanx, for posting your experience with this. I have seen it mentioned here and never find out if it worked or not. Great idea about freezing the tuna juice. :)

TrpnBils
09-28-2005, 12:14 PM
that's something I would've never thought of there...but there is one thing that it brings to mind. Maybe the only thing worse-smelling than tuna would be tuna flavored mice :laugh:

jzal8
09-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Interesting to hear more on this. That is something I will definitly give a shot in the future. :cheers:

KRIZ
09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
From the show one of the snows was not eating. She seemed scared of the smell of pinkies, we tried the tuna scenting method and she wolfed it down immediately!

So far i have opened a new can every week, as it was only twice and its only one snake, but I'll try freezing.

The only problem is she still seems scared of the smell of pinky.

ultimuttone
09-29-2005, 05:12 PM
I was reading this thread today and figured what the hey I haven't made lunch yet.
I have 2 hold outs-one that has eaten once for me and not again and one that had not eaten for me at all. Feeding day isn't actually until tomorrow but I went ahead and put a little tuna water in the bag and thawed the pinkies in it. Put the little guys in with them and went on and made/ate my lunch. When I got back-sure enough little buggers both ate!

So I have a garter who's supposed to eat fish and won't and corns that aren't supposed to like fish and do? Truly fits in my house of oddballs :crazy02: .But if it works...

emkovar
10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
im not sure if it's something to do with the fishy smell or just that they don't smell like pinkies. I've also had some success with washing the pinkies before feeding as well.

But like i said most of the babies can be switched back over to normal pinkies with time.

lefty_mussolini
10-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I read this thread a couple of days ago, and at the time i had 3 non-feeders. Well, after trying this i now have 1 non-feeder. He still being stubborn. Not only did they eat, but they ate fast.

miamijuan3
10-03-2005, 03:30 AM
i have a normal striped female who hasn't eaten for a month so I'm willing to try anything so tomarrow she gets a tuna pinky and the kids get tuna sandwiches. who would have thought tuna. you learn something new every day.

miamijuan3
10-04-2005, 07:19 AM
today i tried tuna scenting. i dunked the pinky into the water from the can put into the shoe box and put it in the closet. this corn i tried to feed 3 times before with no luck i checked on her 15 minutes later and half the pinky was already gone i left her alone not to stress her and an hour later she was balled up with a nice lump. this proably saved her. at first i thought it was a joke. I'm glad i tried it thanks. :cheers:

panda
10-04-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't know if it is just luck, but last night several stubborn eaters ate after washing the F/T pinkies before offerring.

emkovar
10-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Washing seems to work really well. Just a dab of dish soap on your prey item, a quick wash, and a loooooonnnngggggg rinse!!!!!

Don't handle the prey item directly, use tongs. Then dry with paper towel and serve!