PDA

View Full Version : Rats v Mice

Rats v Mice

kr0316
09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
My corns are both 3+ feet and they eat 3 fuzzies a piece so I am changing. Someone suggested fuzzy rats. One of my corns ate one but the other wouldn't. I thought maybe it was because they are too big so I tried a couple pinky rats. She still wouldn't eat it so my local pet store and corn breeder said some corns won't eat rats because they don't smell the same. Is that true and should I try small adult mice instead? :shrugs:

dwyn127
09-26-2005, 12:56 AM
I would think at 3 ft+, she could probably handle a hopper or small adult mouse, but then again, you should keep the food item within 1 1/2 X's the size of her girth at the widest part.

Regarding the mice vs rats, I have a female who I fed mice pinks and fuzzies. Sometimes she would eat and sometimes not. She was a slow grower and looked sickly at times. Someone suggested I try rat pinks. She has never refused a meal since, she looks great and her sheds increased from 4 months to every 1 1/2 months. She'll get rats for life!

At the same time I switched her, I tried feeding a rat pup to a male and he wanted nothing to do with it. Left it in his feed box for couple hours and nothing. Took it out and dangled a mouse infront of his nose and he slammed it. He'll get mice for life! :shrugs: