PDA

View Full Version : inconsistent feeding

inconsistent feeding

ultimuttone
09-26-2005, 09:53 PM
As I have said before, the corns are a new thing for me. I had problems with snakes in the past getting started feeding or BPs going off feeding, but usually once they got started they were pretty consistent.
Well, I have 15 '05 corns,varying from early to late clutches. I only have one that hasn't eaten for me yet, but I always have several that skip a feeding. They are getting better, only 5 didn't eat this time and one was probably because she shed right after returning to her viv.Is this normal?
I live in AZ so I keep house temp at a comfy 80 degrees. I feed every 5 days in seperate feeding tubs. The few that eat each feeding are up to two pinks, the rest are on one. I feed F/t with the exception of the 3 smallest that I tried live on this time-one that ate for the first time with me, one that has only eaten once with me and one that still hasn't eaten.
I'm not really worried about them being healthy in that they have all eaten-except for the one butter-they are active, all sheds are good and complete. I just wondered if it was normal for them to skip meals like that.
Thanks for any info, suggestions, input.

Taceas
09-26-2005, 10:03 PM
It sounds normal to me. Most of mine will skip every now and then. Which is why once they get to larger items, I'm not as strict on the "every x amount of days". Since I raise my own food and don't have a supply of f/t, they get fed whenever there is food available. Which generally averages out to every 7-10 days. So as they get older, there are less and less that refuse every once in a while.

However once they get to the point that they can handle two pinks or one one fuzzy, their feeding times are knocked back from every 5 days to every 7 -10 days or so. More food items and those larger ones do take a little more time to digest than just one. So what you may be seeing is that they aren't needing to be fed so often, and they're simply refusing because they're still digesting their previous meal.

So you might try distancing the feeding times a little and see how it goes. =)

ultimuttone
09-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the input Misty.
I kind of figured they just weren't too hungry yet. I don't offer anything between feeding days and it is not the same ones skipping each time. I figured the ones that I moved up to two could start going a good 7 days between now. I just didn't want to be not worrying if it was something that I should be concerned about.