PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids?

Hybrids?

LizS
04-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Some of the cornsnake morphs, if I understand correctly, have been created by hybridization with other species of Elaphe, like E. obsoleta.

Has anyone tried to create fertile hybrids of E. guttata with some of the interesting ratsnake species from around the world? Wouldn't it be cool if a green corn morph could be developed by outcrossing with, say, E. prassina (a green old world ratsnake, available in the market for a high price)?

Here's a link where you can see pictures of other Elaphe:

http://www.ratsnakes.com/species.html

jim
04-11-2002, 09:56 AM
there are many hybrids out there. probably the most popular are the jungle corn, and the creamsicle corn...
the jungle is a corn snake x cal. king and the creamsicle is a corn x emory. i do know some people make creamsicles without the emory blood for a "pure" creamsicle but it is hard to find them as bright or brilliant looking in my limited experience.
on kathy love's site corn-utopia in her picture gallery there are some pictures of corns crossed with milks, gophers, and kings if you'd like to see some crosses. enjoy!!! ---jim
p.s. i believe the original bubblegum rats were produced from yellow rats, black rats, and corns but am unsure of the exact mix so don't quote me on this... :)

joe clark
04-14-2002, 05:12 AM
I *believe* the bubblegums are a three way cross between yellow, black, and everglades rats.
Since they have been around a fairly long time, I would assume the amel gene came from the black rats.
joe clark

jim
04-14-2002, 06:01 AM

kellum
04-19-2002, 04:05 PM
what does the black rat bring to the mix that is desirable?
a post above said the amel gene but is there any thing else, like the fact that the patterning on the black is masked or disappears as the snake gets older?

snakes364
04-21-2002, 01:03 PM
:rolleyes: