PDA

View Full Version : How many pinkies for a 15"?

How many pinkies for a 15"?

bozoskeleton
04-11-2002, 10:59 AM
I just got my corn a month or so ago, and am wondering how many pinkies to feed it? I've tried giving him two but one always dies before he can eat it. Everything I've read says 2-3 a week, but that seems like too many for him? Any thoughts? Should I switch to frozen? I would prefer live, since that is what my tokay gecko eats and it's just easier to keep things the same but does anyone think that frozies would work better? Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Elaphe_Mo
04-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Why is one of the pinkies dying? Are you feeding him both of the pinkies at the same time (give him one as soon as he gets the first down)? It is probably easier to try that if that is not what you are doing. If he is just refusing the second pinkie, then I just wouldn't worry about it, he will start eating more soon enough :)

Also the frozen vs. live issue doesn't matter too much for pinkies, but I think most people around here will agree that once he starts eating bigger things it is better to feed frozen/thawed to reduce parasites and prevent mice from biting your snake.

Hope that helps

sueb
04-11-2002, 01:17 PM
iwas also told that it is better and healthier for the snoke to feed it f/t.:)

bozoskeleton
04-11-2002, 11:21 PM
The pinkies sit usually for 3-4 days in the cage and it's been my experience that they do not stay alive very long with out having momma around. I put two in there around 11am today and it's 10pm now and both are still in there. I made sure when I bought them that I got some of the smaller ones the pet shop had. Thanks for the help everybody.

Bryan

jim
04-11-2002, 11:51 PM
it may be that your snake is just nervous at the movement of a live pinky. some snakes are quite shy about moving food but will turn into true gluttons if switched to f/t. i've had some that would not touch live food unless he mouse was sitting perfectly still. feeding in the evening may also help...

Peter
04-12-2002, 12:04 AM
Give it f/t. A lot cheaper and more convenient. Live will get to be a real pain in the butt later on down the road (not to mention dangerous). I don't have to sit there and watch the thing to make sure the live food won't bite it. (like I do with one ball python who won't take frozen.

Iris
04-12-2002, 03:07 AM
Did you say you feed him 2 to 3 times a week? Maybe he's just not hungry...although I feed mine twice a week and he never refuses a meal. Just like me! ;)
So..you feed two pinkies each session twice a week? or 2-3 pinkies a week? I'm confused. Mine is about..14-15" and he seems to do ok with 2 a week.

nicky
04-12-2002, 08:20 AM
well maybe you should consider f/t It's cheaper,safer,easyer on the snake and yourself. Don't worry he may just not be hungry. I'd switch to f/t
just a suggestion thoe.

bozoskeleton
04-12-2002, 01:50 PM
I'll try some frozies. I got some along with the live ones the other day. When I put two in yesterday one disappeared last night but was then seen in the water dish. That's the first time I've had a pinky drown. I'll see if he eats the live one in there and if it dies before he eats it, I'll put some frozies in there.

Bryan

Serpwidgets
04-13-2002, 03:46 AM
Pinkies are heavily dependent on the mom. When it dies days later, how much nutritional value has it burned away in the process of starvation...

Also, as soon as he is able to eat two pinkies in one feeding, it is time to move up to fuzzies, IMO.

Jr Nimeskern
04-13-2002, 01:21 PM
My experience with my own cornsnakes is this... I have 2 corns 1 female and 1 male that are about 15 inch long... I put them in my 10 gal. and I have hiding places for them... I just take my corn out of its 10 gal. and place it in a sweater box... and they will eat it right in front of me... maybe ur corns arent comfortable... but my corns eat 2 pinkys every 2-3 days... I'm trying to get them bigger fast... so I can breed them...
I hope I helped...

Serpwidgets
04-13-2002, 10:38 PM
my corns eat 2 pinkys every 2-3 days... I'm trying to get them bigger fast... so I can breed them...

I'm not into power feeding, but to best accomplish your goal, I would suggest moving them up in food sizes as soon as possible, until they are eating hoppers. They will grow better/faster on the more nutritious alternatives.

Jr Nimeskern
04-13-2002, 11:11 PM
thanks for the sight Serpwidgets

Corny...

bozoskeleton
04-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi all-

Well he did seem to like the frozen pinkies better. I kind of had to dangle and tease him with it but he ate it. Thanks for the help folks, I appreciate it.

Bryan