PDA

View Full Version : Anery/Stripe Motley Corn . . .

Anery/Stripe Motley Corn . . .

kris (UK)
09-02-2002, 08:42 AM
Hi everybody!!

Well i phoned up the breeder who had 1 Anerythristic Striped Motley corn, and he still had it, but it was a male ;(, and i am looking for a female. Does anybody else in England know of any places where i can get a Female anery stripe/motley cornsnake ?

Or do you reckon i should get the male, and get another female (As i already have a male amel i was going to breed a anery stripe/motley to) ?

Thanks, your replys will be appreciated

Kris

bmm
09-02-2002, 10:21 AM
You can never have enough males. When the time comes to bred a female you may have at the time, one male might not want too breed or he might throw slugs. Its always nice to have two males on hand for any breedings just in case.

I suggest buying what you like. If you like the stripe motley male get him, unless of course you can't have more than two snakes.

bmm

kris (UK)
09-02-2002, 10:44 AM
At the moment my mum & dad only wants me to have two corns, as, really thats all the room in my bedroom i have to keep them as i ave one more place where a vivarium would fit, so if i was to only have two snakes i would rather have a female and a male.

I think i will go for what i was first set on getting a few weeks ago. An Anerythristic Striped corn. They have more than one available and they have females!!! Wey-hay!!!

This way, if i bred my amel male and the anery stripe, i would still be getting quite a variety of F2 generation. This would be in 03/04 though so im not too worried about that yet. Thanks for replying bmm!!!

Kris

Reptiles=3
09-02-2002, 07:46 PM
kris that sounds like a great plan to me!!! Good Luck!!

bmm
09-02-2002, 08:32 PM
One question though....

How will you be able to get rid of all the baby corns they make? hehehe won't you be tempted to keep even one or two?? :)

bmm

kris (UK)
09-03-2002, 05:48 AM
Good question there!!! lol

Well my initial, and current plan is to just get the other snake first (from hatchling), and bring it up so she is breeding size (im not going to rush growing her up, as i am not desperate to breed at the minute).

Then in about '04 i will start breeding, that way all my exams will be out of the way and i will have time to devote time to keeping the eggs.

By '04, i will hopefully have built a rack system, so i can keep most of the hatchlings so i can breed them on, maybee sell a few.

But not all plans go ahead, and things will change so i'll take things as they come. All i am bothered about at the minute is getting another female corn!!! :D

Kris

Roy S (UK)
09-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Keeping corns is addictive, partially because of the many colour/pattern variations. You do need a lot of space if you're going to have several vivs - so yes plan ahead.

As you say the F2 could have quite a variety, but you should still expect lots of normals. It's only percentages and never a guarentee - but that's also part of the fascination.

Roy.

Neil
09-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Yeah, if you're planning on having quite a few snakes then a rack system will be good but, if your worried about space for the time being you can build your own vivs with sliding glass/plastic doors and stack four of them on top of eachother. I'm currently building a set of three vivs with a shelf-type-thing on top so the incubators and some plastic boxes can sit on top when I next start breeding.

I most probably won't be able to breed again for six or seven years (really peeved about that) because I need to get my babies up to breeding size but then university will get in the way. If possible, I'm going to try and go to Nottingham Uni so I can stay at home. Then I can breed my snakes and live rent-free!! Double advantage :D .

kris (UK)
09-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Im not worried about space. I wont even be breeding for about 2 years and when the babies do hatch i am not having the rack system in my room, it will go downstairs in another room in my house. Yes i do know that i will still get normals, i have researched breeding for some months now.

Neil: I would agree that going to Nott. Uni would benefit you in many ways!!!! lol ;)

Kris