PDA

View Full Version : newbie to snakes

newbie to snakes

recycling goddess
10-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Greetings,

I have a zoo at my house and my son has been begging for a snake for about 6 years now... so with his 12th birthday fast approaching... I think it may be time to let him get one. Trouble is, I know nothing about snakes! So I better start learning.

Currently we care for 2 bearded dragons, Raphael and Jackson. 2 tangerine geckos, Cricket and Harley. An albino horned frog, Kermit. 2 firebelly toads, #1 and #2. 13 fish tanks housing cichlids, community tanks, blue crayfish and a salt water tank as well. We also have lovebirds, cockatiels, parrotlets and budgies - too many to list but all named and loved dearly.

And of course, we have to be a little normal so we have 4 cats! Astarte, Kira, Inanna and Quazy. I think that's all... but you never know *takes a quick look around to see if anyone was missed* Oops, a cage full of pet mice and silkworms we raise to feed everyone!

I am especially addicted to freshwater eels and my oscar named Felix. But all of our other fish are definitely an addiction as well.

I publish an online magazine, Timeless Spirit, homeschool my kids, teach Reiki, Meditation and Tarot classes.

So all in all I do nothing all day but sit around eating bon-bons LOL

:crazy02: :crazy02: :crazy02:

Kp&Co
10-12-2005, 08:39 PM
> So all in all I do nothing all day but sit around eating bon-bons LOL

Not! LOL. Sounds like you have a nice balance of excitement and peace in your homelife. Welcome. =)

If you want to learn about cornsnakes, you've come to the right place. Also, has anyone pointed you toward Kathy & Bill Love's book yet? It's an excellent resource.

Kp

cornsnakekid92
10-12-2005, 09:00 PM
WEll, i guess this will just be your next addiction then! i Got my first corn when i was 12 and i tihnk he will be fine with it. you will need to read up on a lot of care sheets but really you dont know how to do everything untill you have your first! Kathye Loves book is also a must!

recycling goddess
10-12-2005, 11:30 PM
i'll definitely check out that book. :D

Camille
10-13-2005, 09:19 AM
yeah deffinetly be carefull. corns are EXTREMELY addicting. i got one and two months after i got a second and one moth after THAT i got a third one :p and im itching to get a fourth,or fifth,or sixth :P it never ends ;)

recycling goddess
10-13-2005, 04:25 PM
haha i feel it already... just spending time checking out websites and researching snakes... i've decided to get myself one as well LOL

i'm an addict... and i'm okay with that!

Camille
10-13-2005, 05:01 PM
good for you :D :p. i have a dog a cat abd 3 snakes. but i havent moved out fo my mothers yet. im becoming a vetrenary technician next year. wich means ill be in the perfect place to pick up unwanted and mistreated pets. world beware us animal addicts with a soft spot for pets :sidestep:

recycling goddess
10-14-2005, 02:06 AM
i'm sure you'll love being a vet tech. my friend just graduated and loves her job!

Camille
10-14-2005, 09:00 AM
i'm sure you'll love being a vet tech. my friend just graduated and loves her job!
yeah :) all i want to do is be around animals. i already do volunteer work at the vets near here every friday and its when their one staff member short so i get to do and see lots of things. they treat me like a real staff member. Heh i even get to do the fecal samples :p but i think thats cause they dont like to do em :shrugs: :p

recycling goddess
10-14-2005, 01:27 PM
if you are excited about doing fecal samples.... then you NEED to be a vet tech LOL

Camille
10-15-2005, 05:32 PM
if you are excited about doing fecal samples.... then you NEED to be a vet tech LOL

hahahaha dont i know it :p

psyhodad
10-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Howdy,

My name is Lee but my kids call me psyhodad (no c in psycho). I'm a single dad raising two young'uns and I have my older daughter (just out of the navy) living with me as well.

Ever since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated with reptiles. Years ago I use to have a pretty good collection of snakes, lizards and spiders. My passion was chameleons. Well you know how it is kids come along and something has to give. I couldn't find any takers for the kids so the collection had to go.

Last week, on a whim, I bought a sweet red tail boa. I guess this brought back memories for my older daughter because all she talked about was a corn snake that I had in my collection when she was about 6 years old (the first snake she ever held). Well, I had to get some frozen feeders for the boa at my local rep shop. At the counter was a display with all kinds of neonate corns. I decided to surprise my daughter and picked up a normal corn like we had when she was little. Needless to say I came home and started researching. I couldn't believe all the gorgeous morphs. That was all it took. I was hooked. The next day I went and picked up a baby snow. Now I'm shopping for breeders.

I've be devouring any and all information that I can find on the internet and I picked up a copy of Kathy Love's book (which from reading other post was the best investment that I could have made).

I'll be hanging around here and asking a lot of questions so I hope y'all don't mind. From what I've seen everyone seems to be very open, friendly and very helpful.

Lee

recycling goddess
02-03-2006, 10:20 PM
hi all... i've been away for a few months... learning how to care for my ball python. he's doing great - dexter is his name - and now i'm ready to get a cornsnake! so... i'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!