PDA

View Full Version : Am I overfeeding?

Am I overfeeding?

Jonathan P
10-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Yet another newbie with a question ... surprise ... I've tried searching and can't find strong threads on what I need ... sorry.

Anyway, I have a beautiful ( at least in my opinion - my camera cannot handle close ups - hope to have a new one soon. ) '05 female snow motley that I was able to purchase from Rich Z at the Maryland show. I started feeding her one F/T pinkie every 5 days. Didn't really seem to make much of a bulge in her. After a few feedings I upped her to 2 F/T pinkies every 5 days. Last night she looked like a clown's balloon ( one of the ones that you blow up and make into animals ) huge bulge just before her anus ( this was her 2nd feeding with 2 F/T pinkies - they all are approx the same size ). This was the 5th day after her last feeding. After 20 minutes of handling her she did excrete quite a bit. Today was her first shed with me. Nice, clean, and complete.

I was wondering if I am feeding her too much, too often. Should I feed her less often? How can I tell?

She is my 4 year old daughter's pet and I would like her to grow up with her.

Thanks in advance Jonathan

PtDnsr
10-15-2005, 11:52 PM
What you can do is move the feeding to once a week, then every six days, then every five days and when you bump it up to the next size make it every week again. It's hard to overfeed a hatchling or even a juvenile for that matter because they are still growing. Some will say feed every five days others will say a week - it's all in what you think your snake can handle - not a set rule. Personally, unless I notice that one of my snakes needs a little extra and is not gaining weight at all or actually losing weight (yes, I've had that happen) I stick to a once a week schedule which is easiest for me. If your snake can handle every five days and that's what you want to do go for it.

~Katie

BeckyG
10-16-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't think you are feeding her too often. I fed my snakes every 5 days until they were a year old. Then I switched them to every 6 days for a few weeks, and now they are fed every 7 days. I wouldn't worry too much about if I were you. I think she'll do fine. BTW, all my snakes seem to have a larger than norman excrement after a shed. It's like they hold it in until they've shed, then let it all go at once. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let you know.

wikkedkornman
10-16-2005, 09:26 AM
i usually start off feeding hatchlings 1 pink every 4-6 days, then i bump it up to 2 pinks once a week (saturdays). every 5-7 days should be fine.

Jonathan P
10-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for the information. Glad to know that I am on the right track with her.