PDA

View Full Version : Hi :-) newbie to cornsnakes

Hi :-) newbie to cornsnakes

Tyger9791
10-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I live in Tallahassee and just got my first cornsnake this weekend. I have been lurking for a little while around here. I was doing research before i chose which snake to get. I finally decided to get a cornsnake. I found what I believe is a Miami phase cornsnake. I looked at a few photos online and the photos of the miami phase with the gray looks most like my snake. the petstore had written "Het cornsnake" on the container, though they couldnt tell me what the "Het" referred to.
I also want to know about basking lights, can i use one for my snake? I have a spare bulb and lamp that I use for my turtles (they need UVB and a basking lamp). and I havent really been able to find a sure answer as to if i should use it for the snake or not. I dont have a heating pad. I was hoping I could use the light, i have it hooked up to a dimmer and i have a thermometer. if it gets too warm, i dim it down.

Camille
10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
dont use uvb but a heat light should be fine. i used one with my snake in her 10 gallon for a while. as long as its not INSIDE where the snake can burn itself on it and you have a thermometer it should be fine :) have fun with your new corn. as everyone will tell you their addicting
:sidestep:
Hi,

I live in Tallahassee and just got my first cornsnake this weekend. I have been lurking for a little while around here. I was doing research before i chose which snake to get. I finally decided to get a cornsnake. I found what I believe is a Miami phase cornsnake. I looked at a few photos online and the photos of the miami phase with the gray looks most like my snake. the petstore had written "Het cornsnake" on the container, though they couldnt tell me what the "Het" referred to.
I also want to know about basking lights, can i use one for my snake? I have a spare bulb and lamp that I use for my turtles (they need UVB and a basking lamp). and I havent really been able to find a sure answer as to if i should use it for the snake or not. I dont have a heating pad. I was hoping I could use the light, i have it hooked up to a dimmer and i have a thermometer. if it gets too warm, i dim it down.

Tyger9791
10-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Cool. yes it's outside the tank. I actually have it above the metal screen top. and it's a basking light, no UVB, just light/heat.
and after reading around and seeing how many different corns there are i can see how it can be addicting...i ALMOST got two corns! they had a charcoal corn and the miami phase. i decided to get the miami phase because he was just more colorful. but i'm so tempted to go back and get the charcoal too.

Camille
10-17-2005, 05:01 PM
hahahaha. i got one corn and two months after i got a second one and a month after that a third one and im looking into getting a caramel :p. becarefull. hey do you have msn? you could add me. its always fun to talk to other corn owners :)
Cool. yes it's outside the tank. I actually have it above the metal screen top. and it's a basking light, no UVB, just light/heat.
and after reading around and seeing how many different corns there are i can see how it can be addicting...i ALMOST got two corns! they had a charcoal corn and the miami phase. i decided to get the miami phase because he was just more colorful. but i'm so tempted to go back and get the charcoal too.