PDA

View Full Version : can corns grin?

can corns grin?

nicky
04-11-2002, 08:35 PM
ok do corns grin? Do they wink? do they smile? do they hiss?
how are you supposed to know if there happy if there face never changes even thoe I'll always love my corn even if he hates me which he shouldn't cuz I'm nice to him

kenalotia
04-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Well, corns can hiss. That's one way you can tell they aren't happy. They can't smile or grin, and they definitely can't wink, since they don't have eyelids.

If they're unhappy, they might hiss, hide all the time (this could also just be b/c they're digesting or getting ready to shed), try to bite you when you go to pick them up, or other things like that.

You just have to observe your snake and get to know how he acts when he's happy, I guess. A well fed snake that has enough room, enough water, a good place to hide, and is warm enough is probably fairly happy.

K

PS: Mine seem to enjoy tunnelling, so if you can provide a substrate that your snake can tunnel through, like aspen shavings, he might have a bit of fun.

nicky
04-11-2002, 09:15 PM
ya so does mine he always digs it's so cute when he pooks up he's little head and plays hode and seek with me. I use all organic t-rex bedding. Looks like dirt good for digging in.

Elaphe_Mo
04-12-2002, 09:40 AM
they'll also let you know they're cranky by buzzing their tail, kinda like a rattlesnake but without the rattle. I think it is so cute when my little hatchlings do that, trying to look all mean and imposing.

nicky
04-12-2002, 06:50 PM
will they,
I didn't think such gentil creatures would get ticked off easly. Mine never shows any sighns of aggression which is good.
thanx for the help

csmith1626
04-13-2002, 03:52 PM
I AM PREERTY SURE THEY CANT.

Simon
04-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by csmith1626
I AM PREERTY SURE THEY CANT.

Well actually they can.......
when they are stressed out by fear, they start rattling their tails. A little sign of showing "Get out of here or I'll bite" Even some of my adults do that too......but then they only warn.......I haven't been bitten for a long time already. Once you pick them up they'll stop it with the rattling. Some do that and some don't depens entirely on the snake's characteristic.

Good luck and happy Herping!:D

Rachel
04-16-2002, 07:56 AM
mine rattles his tail too when he wants to try and be the boss (always looses cause he like me stroking his head). Alot of snakes mimic rattlesnakes so that potential predators will keep their distance!

absolutneil
04-17-2002, 10:27 AM
The only time mine get angry and bite is when they have escaped and I am trying to catch them.

After I pull out the refrigerator and reach back to pick someone up they always feel nippy. IN fact it is because of this that my wife has reservations about my snakes.

She likes them but always remembers the ones that bit her behind the fridge.

Gregg
04-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by absolutneil
She likes them but always remembers the ones that bit her behind the fridge.

There's a joke in there somewhere, e.g., "Man, that had to hurt, being bit behind the fridge; I got bit on the hand once," or, "Try keeping your wife from going behind the fridge," or, something like that, but I think I'll leave it alone.:D

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
04-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Our snow will rattle his tail but not as much as when we first got him. What I really like to hear is that other people have snakes that escape. It has happen to me twice and I feel so foolish. Once I was holding Merlin and zoom he was gone. and another time I was feeding Barbie and she was taking her time so I just went to do a quick something! When I got back her food was gone but so was she!:rolleyes: All is well now but the learning can be painful, especially if you get stuck behind the fridge. Sam ~~~~~~~:~

kellum
04-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Heh.

Gregg
04-19-2002, 02:59 PM
Good one, Kellum.

galaxip
05-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Kellum,
I think I bought a used car from that guy...

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
05-07-2004, 04:40 PM
I have been so busy with eggs I haven't been on in a long time. This year I breed most of my females earlier than last year by almost a month. Interestingly, for two of them half the clutch was not good, not slugs but not good. Do you think that it's because I started too early?, that they held on to the sperm or something too long? Any guesses? Hope al;l is well..Sam ~~~~~:~

Celestine8
05-08-2004, 12:07 PM
lol, oh yes they rattle and bite and musk. It's been fun with Eden but, finally it doesn't bite or anything and actually peeks out at me when I walk by the cage ( dunno if this is good or not, but when Eden bit and that, Eden would always try to hide and not look right at me ever). I actually picked Eden up two days ago, noted that Eden was really improving in the last handling sessions, when I noticed Eden was going into shed and had milky eyes. Not a bite or anything.