• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is the best snake for me

iwntasnake

I was looking at the pictures of the corn snakes on this site and there are awesome colors and stuff but are these snakes easier or harder that milk Snake? I've also been looking a milk snakes and they look pretty cool too. So if anybody has any info. on either of the two snakes please tell me what you know.
thanks

First off let me welcome you to the forum.
As for which is better, IMO start off with a cornsnake, they tend to have great temperments,husbandry is pretty basic and you can find them in any color or pattern that suits your fancy :).
But either way you go you'll want to do your research first. As far as cornsnakes go you have the absolute best source of information right here. Use the search function and read up on whatever questions you may have. And the people here are always willing to help.
Good luck.

iwntasnake said:
I was looking at the pictures of the corn snakes on this site and there are awesome colors and stuff but are these snakes easier or harder that milk Snake? I've also been looking a milk snakes and they look pretty cool too. So if anybody has any info. on either of the two snakes please tell me what you know.
thanks

Welcome! Coming here with that question is like going to the Toyota dealer and asking them if you should buy a Corolla or a Honda Civic. Of course a cornsnake should be your first snake! But as I've indicated, I'm very biased in this regard. ;)

I was in the same boat about this time last year. I was trying to decide between kings, milks, and corns as a first snake. I ruled out kings on my own for various reasons, but I really couldn't decide between the other two, so I went to the forums. I figured if I went to a particular species' forum, everybody would say "oh yeah, get this kind of snake because it's my favorite kind and you'll like it too." So instead of asking "which one should I get" I went to a milksnake forum and said something like "this is what I want out of a snake (easy to handle, good eater, etc). I'm trying to decide between a milk and a corn. Convince me that a milk snake would be a better starter snake." Then I did the same thing on a cornsnake forum.

You'd be surprised at the answers I got. Based on what I said I wanted out of a snake, a lot of the milk people actually told me "go with a corn." So decide which species you want based on which one will suit you better. By the way, I picked a corn...

Milk snakes are nice....very nice.
But corns are WONDERFUL.

Go to a show and ask ALOT of questions...handle both if you can.
I'm pretty sure I know which one you will pick :D

Instead of being the crazy old cat lady, I have every intention of being the crazy old cornsnake lady! ;)

Get what you want. If you think the milks are nicer, get one. I keep both and really see no difference in any respect. Most milks are a little squirmy when they are young, but usually grow out of it. On the other hand, I've had a few corns that loved to fly through the air and they also grew out of it. As a normal corn is usually much cheaper than a milk, I would start off with the corn. This way you can see if you like keeping snakes without spending too much :wavey:

thanks everybody

Thank you all for your help. That helped me a lot but i have one more question.
How much does each snake eat?
(a lot, or a little, or depending on the snakes personality)

iwntasnake said:
Thank you all for your help. That helped me a lot but i have one more question.
How much does each snake eat?
(a lot, or a little, or depending on the snakes personality)

You'll probably have a lot more questions than one. Now it's time to do your own research. Use the 'search' function in these forums. Nearly 100% of all possible questions have been answered many times over in existing threads. Happy searching, and good luck! :)

Back