PDA

View Full Version : ready to feed again or not?

ready to feed again or not?

Pinklady
10-23-2005, 04:04 PM
We got Drake and Odin last week-they are about 3 months old.
They were fed a pinky each on Thursday, and are due to be fed again tomorrow or Tuesday.
The thing is they haven't pooed yet, and they definitely didn't regurge. Their aspen bedding is as clean as they day we got them!
Should we wait till they have pooed before feeding again, or is it ok to just go ahead and feed them on schedule?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but we are new to this. I have the corn snake manual but can't find anything about this :wavey:

amcgltdchix
10-23-2005, 04:28 PM
really sift through that bedding and on the edges of it too. Sometimes they hide it :) I keep to my regular feeding schedule if I can't find it. I usually find more than expected during my weekly full tank clean vs. daily scoop ups.

Pinklady
10-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks

I cleaned the tank tonight, and changed the aspen even though it looked ok. They have bark hides, and there were a couple of what I'm assuming were pieces of bark lying around. Problem is I don't know what it will look like!! Or how big it wil be! I'll keep looking when they are out tomorrow :)

JAG 32
10-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Well hatchlings cornsnakes "poos'" aren't very big and they are very easily missed. If one of them did regure and you didn't find it you could have been able to smell it! I would keep on their normal routine. John

Butterz
10-23-2005, 07:08 PM
reco is right, just keep feeding them, the poopies will show up.
PS - is it bad that i clean my cage once a month? dont get me wrong but im woried you guys are talking about 1nce a week :eek1:

danvega
10-24-2005, 12:29 AM
We got Drake and Odin last week-they are about 3 months old.
They were fed a pinky each on Thursday, and are due to be fed again tomorrow or Tuesday.
The thing is they haven't pooed yet, and they definitely didn't regurge. Their aspen bedding is as clean as they day we got them!
Should we wait till they have pooed before feeding again, or is it ok to just go ahead and feed them on schedule?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but we are new to this. I have the corn snake manual but can't find anything about this :wavey:

I have the same advice as above, don't worry, just keep on the same 5-7 day feeding cycle. Your snakes will eat then, if they are hungry again. One of my corns deficates around 4-5 days after a meal, while the other usually will not until after the second feed (14 days later). Also, like said previously, the feces from a young snake are very hard to find in aspen, an alternative is to use paper towels for about the first 6-8 months, then you cannot miss when the little guys go.

is it bad that i clean my cage once a month? dont get me wrong but im woried you guys are talking about 1nce a week :eek1:
The basic idea is to spot clean whenever you find feces. No need to change the bedding (aspen) every week. Just search through the bedding after spot cleaning, fluffing the aspen up, to create air-flow. This helps to relieve any stale spots that may be more prone to bacteria/mold growth from spilled water. As long as the aspen is clean, there is really no need to change it every week (unless you just feel the need to). I change my bedding after each shed, which averages around once every month to month and a half. Hope this helps.

Pinklady
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone-I'll feed them again tonight and keep checking the tank!

Pinklady
10-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I fed them again tonight. In the shop they were on a 4 day schedule, so as we only got them last week we are trying to stick with that.
They got another pinky each which they wolfed down!
Odin seems to like to eat his backwards-he has done that both times he has been fed.
What I'm wondering about is they only seem to have a slight thickening after they have fed. I guess I'm looking for a visible lump!
I don't know if the pinkys are big enough for them, or when I should be giving them 2 each.
With only having had them a week I don't want to change their schedule too quickly and upset them.
Should I wait for another couple of feeds before I move them onto 2 each?

sbourget
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
A general rule of thumb for food size is 1 and 1/2 times their widest part of the body (not including the head)

Pinklady
10-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Does this size look ok? or is it too small?
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1038/drakewithpinky0po.th.jpg (http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=drakewithpinky0po.jpg)

sbourget
10-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I would tend to think so, but my opinion in the matter isn't worth much, I'm still only setting up my first terrarium so I can get my first snake in december. I'm just passing on the tidbits of snake wisdom i've gleaned from these forums.

JAG 32
10-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes, you can move up to a large pinky, i assume from the pictures i've seen from other posts . Its more helpful to see the body in the picture but i would day you can move up a pinky size. John