PDA

View Full Version : Sudden death...looking for answers

Sudden death...looking for answers

zwyatt
10-23-2005, 07:20 PM
This morning I found my '05 female caramel had died. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me figure out why this might have happened. She seemed in good health. I have had her since August. She refused her first couple of f/t meals, but ate live pinkies at the next three feedings. After that she ate a f/t in her everyday viv (12qt sterilite), then ate one in a deli dish at the next feeding. Then she refused twice more, but ate a f/t when offered in her viv. She never shed since I had her. She always seemed alert and healthy. She did seem to poop more than my others, but I guess I didn't consider it abnormal since she is a hatchling afterall. Humidity and temps have always been where they need to be, no regurges, and I have never had problems with any of my other snakes in the same conditions. :shrugs:

Any thoughts on what might have happened?

zwyatt
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm still wondering what might have happened? Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Mary-Beth
10-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry to here your snake died.
I'm also sorry I can't help you figure out what happend to her.

rachel132002
10-24-2005, 04:35 PM
The only way to really find out is for a vet to do a pm and get lab tests done to establish the cause.

Rachel

rhinecat
10-24-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your snake. However, without a necropsy, there's really no way for anyone to know what killed her, since she didn't really show any obvious symptoms of ill health. :(

Billybobob
10-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm still wondering what might have happened? Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Sorry that your snake died but without any known symptoms it is impossible for any one to even guess what caused the death. Even if you had noticed any symptoms people would have only been able to guess as to what the problem was and not give and accurate diagnosis. Like rachel132002 said you would have to have a pm done.

zwyatt
10-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I did keep the snake to hopefully get a necropsy done. I was hoping someone might have some ideas if they had ever experienced something similar. I guess with a lack of symptoms a necropsy will be needed to determine cause. Thanks

CAV
10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
We often forget that these are living creatures and are therefore mortal. Usually death occurs without warning and with no identifiable symptoms. Snakes aren't the only species affected by this fact. I was surprised a few years ago when I learned how common miscarriages were in humans. Upwards of 25% of all human pregnancies self terminate, usually due to an abnormality of some sort. Sometime the Creator knows something that we don't and decides that it is just "that time".

Hatchlings always seem to be the most susceptible. Even the ones that are health and eating without a catch don't make it. This is the reason that most species have large clutches or litters; to insure that at least a few survive long enough to reproduce while the rest become part of the cycle of life. While it is never easy to deal with, it is just part of the game.

Honestly, I'd never recommend a necropsy on a neonate. As long as your husbandry practices are within the accepted normal ranges, chances are you did nothing wrong. In my opinion you'd just be throwing away good money in search of an elusive answer. It makes a lot more sense to just replace the animal if you so choose.

wikkedkornman
10-24-2005, 05:24 PM
she never shed and she pooped alot? sounds like some kind of internal parasite. if you get the necropsy done, please let us know the results. if you're in Champaign, you should be able to get one done at U of I.

zwyatt
10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
We often forget that these are living creatures and are therefore mortal. Usually death occurs without warning and with no identifiable symptoms. Snakes aren't the only species affected by this fact. I was surprised a few years ago when I learned how common miscarriages were in humans. Upwards of 25% of all human pregnancies self terminate, usually due to an abnormality of some sort. Sometime the Creator knows something that we don't and decides that it is just "that time".

Hatchlings always seem to be the most susceptible. Even the ones that are health and eating without a catch don't make it. This is the reason that most species have large clutches or litters; to insure that at least a few survive long enough to reproduce while the rest become part of the cycle of life. While it is never easy to deal with, it is just part of the game.

Honestly, I'd never recommend a necropsy on a neonate. As long as your husbandry practices are within the accepted normal ranges, chances are you did nothing wrong. In my opinion you'd just be throwing away good money in search of an elusive answer. It makes a lot more sense to just replace the animal if you so choose.

Thanks, CAV. That's true, and I guess I had just overlooked that possibility. I suppose having something die on you just brings out the need to find an answer why, but there isn't always such an answer.