PDA

View Full Version : Weird feeding problem...

Weird feeding problem...

SnakeAround
10-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Hello, my giant almost 2,5 pound supposed to be male adult Miami refuses to eat anything but f/t fuzzies.... living mice in all sizes and colors, he doesn't show any interest in it.... but when dangling a f/t fuzzie in front of him in his viv he decides to eat... the first one I offered by hand, and he even attacked my hand.... after 2 more fuzzies offered by tweezers today I also offered a f/t springer, even with cuts but he only smelled a little at it and then retreated. Does anybody know what could cause this behaviour? He also stretches his jaws much more after eating then all my other snakes, but those fuzzies are just about the size of his head so relatively very small! Further he is very lazy, never comes out of the hide when I'm there.... and I'm up till 02:00 most of the time... But if I get him out, he's just slithering around calmly, alert and doesn't show any sign of illness as far as I can see..... his mouth and head look just fine... when 'yawning' I saw just a healthy pink mouth... :shrugs:

SnakeAround
10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Anybody any idea?

Roy Munson
10-31-2005, 05:48 PM
What was its former owner feeding it, and how frequently? I doubt it got that big on fuzzies, unless it ate twenty per week. I guess there could be a hundred reasons why it's selecting only small prey. Maybe he has sustained a jaw injury. :shrugs:

ghosthousecorns
10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't know the answer but I thought I would mention my male Anery was in breeding mode and would not eat anything except pinkies for most of the spring and early summer. I kept trying hoppers, adults, and all he would take was the pinkies until about the end of June or so, then he started to take the bigger mice again. I have no idea why but I thought I'd share anyway...

SnakeAround
10-31-2005, 06:22 PM
He was on 2 mice a week..... too much for him being in a very small viv then without any possibility to climb ro anything like that.

Good to know another corn acted this way, only the season in which mine doe sis different. Hope to get some more info!

I'm thinking of a jaw injury but I really have no idea what could have caused it... I think I'll try to change substrate maybe, he's on wood chips but was used to aspen... never know which change can make the difference...

Bug22baby
10-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Well I dont have any real advice other than a scenerio I had happen. when I first got my Red Candy Cane he kept refusing to eat anything at all. Eventully I found out that it was the size of his tub. He was use to the much smallar home but when I acquired him he was given a home bigger. I eventully put him in a smallar tub and he will eat everything now, but they too had to be smallar prey for a while. Now hes back in a bigger enclosure and eating his regular size meal. Just took some patience and time to get him back up to his regular meals.

SnakeAround
11-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, I just posted another thread about him, he ate 2 adult mice! They were in a smaller cage so maybe you're theory is the right one!