PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Sunday

A Sad Sunday

Preita
10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
My husband and I had posted earlier this week about our sick snake and had gotten wonderful responces and great imput. She had regurged last friday, and was taken to the vet because of continual "dry heaves" and the vet found nothing wrong with her.

Well Sunday night she passed. We felt so horrible and I deffinately cried. :cry: I feel like a looser. I know we tried to do everything we possibly could and we gave her more than she has ever had, it just still feels terrible.

It just feels like we didnt have enough time.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support and knowellege and advice.

Hopefully in the future we will have another corn but for now we will just admire all yours from afar.
Thanks
Preita

Tracee
10-24-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :( And crying over losing a well-loved pet does not make you 'a loser' in any way.

These things happen, and can't be prevented. Best of luck with your next snake (when you do decide to get another).

Preita
10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Its just that we didnt even get to wait the full 10 days after she regurged to try to feed her. It really seemed fast. :cry: I think that no matter what happens you always wonder if you could have done something different.
Thats part of the reason that we are going to wait to get a new corn.

Joni Garcia
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry about your loss. Just think about what a good life you gave her while she was with you. You cared and did what you could.

Tracee
10-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Yes that is very fast - too fast for you to have done anything. You did the absolute right thing by waiting to attempt another feeding (I know you already know this).

Please don't beat yourself up. Nature can be harsh and unfortunately she just wasn't meant to make it. Be happy that she didn't suffer for weeks on end, and that you made her last days as warm and comfortable as you could have.

Preita
10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
:) Thanks. Its hard. Its harder on my husband though. I am glad that it was fast, but I am really goign to miss her. I just cant figure out what happened, maybe thats what bothers me the most

starsevol
10-24-2005, 03:54 PM
I am so sorry for your loss...

Roy Munson
10-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Very sorry to hear that. It was evident from your posts that you guys cared very much for her, and that you willingly did everything you could to turn her around.

You may not want to hear it right now, but you and your husband should get another one soon. There are many snakes out there that need caring keepers like you guys...

Preita
10-24-2005, 04:48 PM
we will. But not right away. Though I had my eye on some babies over at SMR, we just didnt want to get any new corns until Nix was ok. We will jump back in the saddle, just need to pick ourselves up first.

Im calling that damn vet after work too! Moron. I have to find that Herp vet link I found on here and write them to tell them that he sent my husband home with a "healthy" snake that passed away on sunday. They need to take him off that list. Im trying to be calm but Im pretty upset about that.

ultimuttone
10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Even when there is nothing you could have done, I know it feels like you should have-because you wanted to. When the time is right that perfect little one will come along and fill the void. Until then we all share in your loss.

wikkedkornman
10-24-2005, 05:28 PM
sorry for your loss. don't beat yourself up over it. just make sure to properly sterilize the cage she was in, and try again with another corn (and SMR is one of, if not THE best places to get a good HEALTHY corn).

Preita
10-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all your support guys. Yes smr is amazing. Im looking at an abbotts okeetee, but probably not for another few weeks.

We DO need to steralize everything she was in or touched just in case. I researched that this morning. I need to make sure we start out right...again :/

starsevol
10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

I do not know if what I say will make you feel better...but...I started keeping cornsnakes 9 years ago. I lost my first one in August due to eggbinding BUT have never lost another one.
So chances are, your next snake will live a longggggg life and make you happy.

dionythicus
10-25-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm terribly sorry about your baby.

Doctors and vets may know more than we do about medicine, but they don't know everything. It called "practising" medicine for a reason. I'm sure he thought the snake was ok. I know you're upset with your vet, but short of a necropsy to check for the true cause of death, I'm sure the vet made an educated decision about the health of your baby. Its difficult to know exactly what happened. When they are that small, treatment is sometimes more stressful than leaving well enough alone and letting nature take its course.

Please accept my condolences.

Preita
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I know, I was mad. We are still new to corns and some of the things he said sounded pretty ignorant after we got home. But it was her time. She was a good snake, and she paved the way for another baby to have a good home in the future. It was kinda sad, my husband buried her last night. But we are starting to feel better.

Thanks everyone for all their kind words and warm wishes. This site is truely amazing.
Preita

cornykids
10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
We are sorry to hear about your loss. Mandy cried for you. We would all cry, too, when one of our snakes pass on. Let us all know when you get another one so we can be happy for you, too.

-Michelle and Mandy

Preita
10-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks
I will