PDA

View Full Version : biting

biting

corny
09-04-2002, 07:54 PM
I have a new cornsnake. Whenever I put my hand in it bites me. I have had it for 3 weeks and its bitten me about 15 times. I don't do any thing to scare it. I don't make sudden movements or hurt it. What should I do?

Alicia
09-04-2002, 08:08 PM
You don't mention how old it is. If it's a baby just putting your hand in the cage is enough to frighten it. Time and gentle handleing will help with this problem. They have to get used to you and being taken out and held. Be patient it's only been 3 weeks. I'm sure your new corn will calm down, they are such gentle snakes (most anyway:D ).

Neil
09-05-2002, 02:56 AM
You'll find that snakes have their individual personalities; some are very friendly, some aren't so friendly. However, your snake is new and most probably a hatchling so it needs time to get used to its surroundings before being handled. Hatchlings can be evil little buggers and bite away at you when you open their enclosure. Just be patient and I'm pretty sure it'll calm down a bit.

When handling, wash your hands and lay one hand on the bottom of the enclosure. The snake might come and explore and, when it has gotten used to you, you can gently pick it up.

little twiglet
09-06-2002, 03:27 AM
the snake is most probably scared by your hand and if it is a baby that is enough to scare the pants off of it!

but before you start grabbing the snake and picking it up try leaving your hand in the tank for a while and letting the snake come and explore! and when it is used to your hand dont pick it up run your finger along the side of your snake and stroke his back be careful not to put your fingers infront of it face because that might scare him even more.

always have clean hands before you touch your snake so that any sort of scent from what you have been doing doesn't give him a "come bite me im dinner" idea.

snakes have individual little personalities and although everyone says that corns are gental and kind and docile dont be fooled every bunch has a few sour ones!!