PDA

View Full Version : Stressed out?

Stressed out?

bryanc
10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
So I was planning on feeding my hatchling today but now I am having second thoughts and I would really love some advice.

I picked him up Saturday afternoon, I left him alone except for observing him and he seems to be settling in. Here's the issue, my apartment complex is undergoing a conversion to condos. They started to gut out the apartment on top of mine TODAY. :headbang:

It's so noisy that when I came home to take my dog out she had pulled the place apart. She gets scared of loud booming noises. I started to think that if she was upset with all the noise, wouldn't my hatchling? I looked in his viv and he's buried under the substrate some where which seems to be pretty normal for him during the day. :shrugs:

Should I skip trying to feed him until a few more days? I have no idea how long they will gutting this unit, but the others in my building have been 2 - 3 days it seems. I just don't want to stress him out more and chance a regure... :eek1:

Please any and all advice is appreciated.

mbdorfer
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Noise won't bother him. They can't hear sound. They feel vibration.

bryanc
10-26-2005, 04:27 PM
It's a lot of dropping and tearing down stuff...would that type of erratic vibrations cause stress?

I live by the El and that doesn't bother him at all, because I can feel it vibrate my floors sometimes.

cka
10-26-2005, 04:32 PM
A few days won't hurt him. Like Mike said they don't really "hear" anything. I've read somewhere that they may be able to "hear" (in a sense) low frequency sounds, not sure how valid that is though. It will just be that many more days he'll get to settle into his new surroundings, too :*)

debcash
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Waiting a few days is fine, or if you want to get some food in him, I would just feed a much smaller meal than normal.

Muggle
10-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Sound is vibration. I've herd of snakes freaking out if the radio is turned to loud and things like that but have never had personal experience with this so. . .

bryanc
10-28-2005, 03:10 PM
He seemed to be pretty chilled out when I went home later on that day so I decided to go ahead and feed him after all. It turns out he was not stressed as he wolfed that pinkie down! And today is day number 2 and no regurge! :)

Also he was actually alot calmer than I thought he would be. When I first picked him up I went slow and tried to scoop him from the side. I let him 'taste' my hand a bit then grabbed him gently. He was squirmy for a second and then was totally calm. I can't wait till I can handle him regularly...I want to keep his calmness going...so to speak.

MegF.
10-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Sounds like a good start! I'm sure your little guy will do fine with everything.

coyote
10-28-2005, 11:12 PM
http://coloherp.org/cb-news/Vol-29/cbn-0201/index.php