PDA

View Full Version : Snake on itīs back

Snake on itīs back

lucia
10-29-2005, 05:50 AM
A friend of mine bought a cornsnake (snowcorn) in september, and now itīs dead. She found the snake laying on itīs back!? Dead.
I have never heard of it, maybe you guys know what it is?

Bad genes? heart? too cold? too warm?

princess
10-29-2005, 06:01 AM
If the snake ended up on it's back it could have been choking or struggling in some way in the moments before it died.

I was given a very weak and almost dead non feeder baby python a few weeks ago and he died within a few days (nothing I could do to help him). He died in the position he was sitting in.

Flipping around and ending up ion it's back probably indicates it thrashed around first. I can't see it being realted to heat, cold or genetics...just one of those things. I wonder how common epileptic snakes are?

lucia
10-29-2005, 06:04 AM
thanks for your fast answer Adelé! :)
Yes I think that too, choking or something else. Itīs crazy! :shrugs:

ghosthousecorns
10-29-2005, 11:24 AM
My oldest snake died a few years ago, it happened in front of me. He went into these spasms (death throes) and then belly up. Very traumatizing. My own fault for being ignorant, it turned out to be from swallowing a chunk of bark when I fed it in the viv. I hestitated to post this but I think it may help.

Roy Munson
10-29-2005, 12:21 PM
My oldest snake died a few years ago, it happened in front of me. He went into these spasms (death throes) and then belly up. Very traumatizing. My own fault for being ignorant, it turned out to be from swallowing a chunk of bark when I fed it in the viv. I hestitated to post this but I think it may help.

Well, what you don't know CAN hurt you, or your snakes. My first corn died from a corncob bedding impaction. My ignorance killed him too. But death from substrate consumption seems such a counter-intuitive thing for me. I have a hard time believing that they are that succeptible to this in the wild. I realize that the viv and the wild are very different places, but I still don't get it. :shrugs:

ghosthousecorns
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
It can be hard to admit when we make mistakes, thanks Dean. I can only add that this site has been a godsend to me and my snakes, I have learned so much about what NOT to do.
About the OP a necropsy is probably the only way to find out what killed the snake in question.