• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another shedding question

BabyMowgli

just one more....
So I got my new little ghost last Monday, he ate :) , then his eyes turned blue and now they have cleared but he still has not shed. He is very inactive and just sits in his hide. I have NEVER seen him out and about. I know if he is in the process of shedding he will be hiding, but shouldn't he have shed by now!?? I have never had a snake shed, so I don't know the whole process. Is this normal? and how long should it be now before he sheds? :shrugs:

In my experience it's about 4 days after the eyes clear up, but I've heard of it being a week or more, depends on the snake/conditions, I guess.

rerat said:
In my experience it's about 4 days after the eyes clear up, but I've heard of it being a week or more, depends on the snake/conditions, I guess.

^^Sounds correct. I have had sheds sometimes 1-2 days after clearing up. Really depends on the snake and conditions (ie. humidity). You will wake up one morning and presto--a shiny, freshly shed snake will be in your viv with an empty skin. You don't have anyting to worry about right now.

My great big snake, Spot, takes almost two weeks, to go through the process. His eyes turn blue, he is inactive, he sometimes goes back almost to regular color, then will drink a ton of water, then the shed will finally happen.

It really varies from snake to snake. My amel take a while to shed and my abbott's takes even longer, but my creamsicle shed pretty fast. I would just make sure the humidity is high enough and be paitent. Good luck - John

So he still has not shed, his eyes are clear and he is still not active. I couldn't possibly have missed his shed, I've been looking for it every morning and every evening! I am getting a bit impatient here! lol

Last time it took Treasure 2 weeks after his eyes cleared up hehe... and he was around my neck when he decided to wiggle out of his skin, was REALLY neat having him slither around and around my neck while inching out of his skin =D
Usually takes him one or 2 days after his eyes clear up, and yes I was checking him every few hours too hehe =)

Back