PDA

View Full Version : Intrested in seeing herps in the wild, where to start?

Intrested in seeing herps in the wild, where to start?

Preita
10-31-2005, 07:29 PM
As the title says I'm intrested in seeing snakes and lizards in the wild. Are there any great books to get or places to start?

I live in Southern California if that helps. Any responses would be awesome.

I just thought this would be a cool way to get out of the house on weekends :D
Thanks!
Preita

CAV
10-31-2005, 10:52 PM
The first thing to do is get a reference book that covers the species in your area. This is probably the best Cali snake book around (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0877193126/qid=1130816853/sr=1-19/ref=sr_1_19/102-3377720-0774512?v=glance&s=books).

Next I would recommend that you find a local herp society and start attending their meetings and field trips. The best way to learn about reptile habitat and behaviour is to go and look for them with someone that is experienced with your local fauna. Not only will you learn about the local honey holes, you will gain a ton of insight into what conditions are most conducive for finding reptiles.

kathylove
11-01-2005, 12:05 AM
If there are any agricultural areas nearby, it is a good place to start. Especially look for ag areas that have some natural or overgrown areas around the borders. That is often good for rodents, which attracts herps.

Road cruising at and just after dusk can often be productive, depending on the area and temps.

Preita
11-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Awesome. I'm getting that book this weekend :D And I have looked for Herp Society's around here, but I haven't had much luck finding one thats close.

I used to see snakes all the time when I lived in MN (in the summer obviously lol). In any corn field there was tons of animals, but they mostly raise strawberry's around where I'm from and I think they are touchier about you entering their fields :rolleyes:

Thanks a ton! I'm going to do more research. Hopefully I will be able to find a society close by :crazy02:

TandJ
11-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Well, I almost hate to let some of my honey holes out of the bag, but if you were in my area out in the High desert I might be willing to take you for some road herping.. Although it seems like the local inhabitants have all but pretty well disappeared within the last month, must be time for the sleep...

Here is a teaser of some of the critters in my area... These are the most common finds in my area of California..

Regards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/insaneone2/snakes/Rattlesnake.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/insaneone2/snakes/Sidewinder.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/insaneone2/snakes/DSC01035.jpg

Preita
11-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I really like that last one :D I live closer to the ocean than the desert. :D I'm still kind of exploring here. They have what look like some fun trails to hike and what not. My husband keeps telling me that he's going to take me out to the desert sometime but we've never made it.

What is the best time of year (in your experience) to start seeing snakes?

manog
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Is that a gopher snake in the last picture? Very nice snake.

TandJ
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
That is known to me as a glossy snake.. I can't remember the scientific name for him right now, but quite common finds in my neck of the woods. Or at least when it is warm outside..

Regards..

Tegucentric
11-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Arizona elegans. I want to pick up a few females and a couple males, perhaps 2.6 glossy snakes.

Rick

TandJ
11-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I think you might need to find a breeder for the Elegans.
I won't and refuse to remove herps from the wild except for a few pictures, and then they are releashed back to wild from the same local they were found..

I am certain someone can direct you to a breeder of these wonderful critters..

Regards

Preita
11-08-2005, 01:39 PM
I won't and refuse to remove herps from the wild except for a few pictures, and then they are releashed back to wild from the same local they were found..
Regards

I really appreciate this view point. Most of the time wild caught anything dont make very good pets and god knows what they are infected with. (just ask anyone whos picked up a stray cat).

So does anyone field herp closer to the ocean? I was wondering where to start really :shrugs: