PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory Illness no vet to help

Respiratory Illness no vet to help

Temari
11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
My snake got Respiratory Illness and there is no vet to treat it because i live in UAE and we got no vets for reptiles.
i need help i need to know what to do :cry:

sbourget
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Immediately raise the enclosure's temperature to 85 degrees F to help stimulate immune response. If it isn't already, move the enclosure to a quiet room, and away from any other healthy reptiles. Many times, this is all that is needed to battle minor RI's. Vitamins are also a good idea, try contacting a vet over the phone, he may be able to help you with anything else.

sbourget
11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
maintain the increased temp, day and night, also, make sure that humidity is between 40 and 50, to wet or dry can make the RI worse.

Billybobob
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
There is a R.I. med for birds that is available over the counter you can pick it up at most feed stores. I can't remember the name right now but if you ask the people in the feed store they will know what you are talking about. If i remember the name i will post it.

PtDnsr
11-01-2005, 11:07 PM
There is a R.I. med for birds that is available over the counter you can pick it up at most feed stores. I can't remember the name right now but if you ask the people in the feed store they will know what you are talking about. If i remember the name i will post it.
If you can post the scientific name it might help more. I'm assuming that meds are different over there in UAE and the scientific name might be easier to find (as opposed to a US or UK based brand name). Whatever happens keep us updated.

~Katie

Temari
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
thanks all i'll do so :)

MegF.
11-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Keeping the temps up with a basking spot of 90 is about the only thing you can do without a vet prescription. I have doses of different antibiotics that's listed for chondros here, but you'd need a vet to give you the drugs and it requires injections and such. If you'd still like the amounts of the drug necessary, you are welcome to e-mail me and I can give them to you to show whatever vet you use for the other animals in your area and see what he says. I hope your snake recovers.

Tegucentric
11-03-2005, 02:48 PM
My snake got Respiratory Illness and there is no vet to treat it because i live in UAE and we got no vets for reptiles.
i need help i need to know what to do :cry:

Before you treat for anything I would like to ask exactly what the snakes symptoms are? Please list each symptom is as much detail as possible. Treating for the wrong thing can cause serious complications.

Bringing the heat up and monitoring your humidity should be fine, but beyond that I would be sure it's what you think it is.

Rick

Temari
11-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Before you treat for anything I would like to ask exactly what the snakes symptoms are? Please list each symptom is as much detail as possible. Treating for the wrong thing can cause serious complications.

Bringing the heat up and monitoring your humidity should be fine, but beyond that I would be sure it's what you think it is.

Rick
the symptoms are:
clicking sound when breathing
yawning more than usual
and bubbles coming from the mouth only

Temari
11-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Greaaat news my little Oscar has gotten better :D

Lennycorn
11-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Greaaat news my little Oscar has gotten better :D

How??? What did you do?? Raise the temps and humidity?

MegF.
11-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Good news!!

Temari
11-06-2005, 04:52 AM
yeeah thats all i did i dont know if he is really ok but he dosent seem to do the clicking sound or bubbles coming out of his mouth and btw a gave him some antibiotics that was given to me by a vet he told me to try it they might work

MegF.
11-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Use the antibiotics until they are done, or as prescribed by the vet. You don't want some resistant strain getting started by stopping them early. I'd keep the temps up a little longer too, until you're sure that he's over it, or at least provide a real warm basking spot of 90 for a while.

coyote
11-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm glad you found a vet.

Temari
11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
am thinking of feeding my snake is it a good idea??:S

coyote
11-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Why not? Nourishment is good medicine.
Where do you get feeders in the UAE? Are there pet shops? Frozen feeder vendors? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm just fascinated because the culture is so different from that of the USA. Where did you get the snake?

Temari
11-09-2005, 06:20 PM
i get them from the pet shop they got fuzzies,rats and grown mice as for the snakes they sell them at pet shops too but i buy them from an Indiane breeder who sells so many kinds of snakes