PDA

View Full Version : Dont know what I'm doing wrong, maybe you do

Dont know what I'm doing wrong, maybe you do

b23ball23
11-04-2005, 09:56 AM
i have a corn that hasnt eaten sice the first day I got her. She is a ghost corn hatchling that ate a live pinky the day that I bought her.
Anyway..... i have been trying to feed her f/t pinkies and she just wont eat one!!!

I feed her in her deli cup in a dark spot...just her and the pinky. Well i thaw teh pinky by putting it in a bag and running hot water over it until the pinky is completely thawed and warm. Then I have tried cutting the pinky, or i also tried just using the head, and none of it works

what am I doingwrong??

any help would be apprciated, i used the search button, but it just gives me back basically every post on this forum.

THANKS

BEN

GOD BLESS

debcash
11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Sounds like you are doing everything correctly - a few questions though that it would help to know:
How long have you had him/her?
What time of day are you trying to feed?
Was your snake eating f/t before or only live?
How often are you trying to feed?
Is the thawed pinkie warm or cool when you feed it?
Thanks!

CAV
11-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Remember than snakes locate there prey by picking up the scent on their tongue. When you rinse the pinkie under water most of the its scent is removed.

FWIW, I never defrost my mice in warm water. Try not to handle the pinkie with your hands and thawing the mouse at room temperature. Place it on a paper towel and leave it for an hour or two until it is completely defrosted. Next, dump it into the cup (again without touching the pinkie) and add the snake.

If that doesn't work, get another live pinkie and have the pet store include some bedding material in the sack with the mouse. Sometimes the extra scenting triggers the feeding response. Just make sure that excess bedding isn't stuck to the mouse before feeding.

b23ball23
11-04-2005, 04:25 PM
ok, i'll try that...thanks CAV

I have had her since 2 sundays ago...nov 23?

I try at night usually

I think it was on f/t i dont really know

I'm trying every other night

I feed it when warm

BEN

debcash
11-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Try CAV's advice and hoepfully it will work.
If not, and he continues to reject the f/t, I'd try live again.

Gintha
11-04-2005, 05:09 PM
This is a duplicate post to one in the husbandry forum.. I posted on the other one this morning hehe.

b23ball23
11-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I tried what CAV said...nothing...but the pinky was not wasted...my beastly milk snake chomped it down

I really dont understand why the little girl isnt eating?????? I guess i need a live one

BEN

GOD BLESS

ultimuttone
11-05-2005, 05:14 PM
You mentioned that you are offering it every other day. Maybe try letting it go a full 5-7 days between attempts. Let it get hungry. I have heard people mention that you can be training them to reject it by offering too often.
If you search the feeding problems threads you will find a lot of information on how/what/when. :)

Jason_Gray
11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I also have a fussy eater. I usually wait till night time and mist her lightly with a spray bottle and she eats every time. Not sure why, but something about getting sprayed down activates her need to feed. Good luck.