PDA

View Full Version : Hello every one

Hello every one

RavenWolf
11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm new to the snake world. I don't have one yet, But I think they are beautiful and fascinating creatures! Its been about 2 months since I decided I wanted to finally get one as a pet. I want to really research every aspect of having a pet snake before I jump into owning one. I figured the best way to learn would be talking with people who have snakes as pets. I've gotten so much contradicting advice that I am now really confused!

Most of the info I've found on the web seems to be geared towards the larger snakes like boas. And I just want a nice relatively small snake that won't die as I'm learning. I've talked to people in 5 different pet stores and got 6 different stories. One place told me to get a garter snake they stay small and all you have to do to feed them is put a gold fish in their water bowl. another place also recommended the garter snake but that they at crickets and earth worms. and still another pet store said no garter snakes do not do well in captivity and wont eat. he recommended a boa but those eat rats which is why I know I don't want one of them (I have pet rats I just couldn't do that!) I just want something that will stay little enough to eat small preferably already dead things. And that likes to be held.

The either two pet stores both recommended corn snakes but I got two different feeding stories one place said rats the either place said all I have to do is throw a frozen mouse in the cage once a week, (which I think I could handle feeding mice as long as they are already dead) then one person told me that snakes will only eat live food. One place told me corn snakes are really friendly and like to be held another told me that they are just pets to be looked at and that they are notorious bitters. (I want a pet not something to sit and stare at) and judging by the 300 dollars worth of stuff the pet stores tell me I have to have, I'm getting the feeling that they just want to sell me stuff.

And the snake books in my local library are so old they must be out of date. (there from the early 80's) Not to mention all the advice from self proclaimed snake experts the "I had a snake once but it died a while ago" people.

Well, anyway you can see why I'm here in an attempt to learn the truth. (Sorry about the long rant I'm just really frustrated) I don't want to give up on the idea of getting a pet snake but I don't want to get one and have it die because I don't know what I'm doing. So I'm looking forward to meeting some new freinds and hopefully figuring out how to keep a pet snake happy and healthy. :)

taazyb
11-09-2005, 07:38 PM
hi

I have kept a variety of snakes royal pythons, Brazilian rainbow boas, rat snakes and my bug obsession corn snakes i have 23 now (just got 6 new ones this week)

For a first snake i would go for a corn snake. They grow to a manageable size have good temperaments and are easy to feed. (royal pythons for example are really fussy)

No snake really likes being held its not like a dogs who enjoys being stroked. But as a rule corn snakes tend o be fine when you handle them. Like all snakes the more you handle them the calmer they become. If you get a little hatchling expect a few nips while you are getting it used to being handled. When they are that small it does not hurt anyway.

I would recommend buying from a local corn snake breeder as the hatchlings tend to be handled more and it will be cheaper then buying from a reptile shop. Here in the UK you can pick hatchlings up from a private dealer for as little a £10 but are £45 in the shops.

As for the equipment you need shops will always tell you that you need all the expensive kit.

You need as basic a secure Viv, heat mat that will cover 1/3 of the Viv, hide, water bowl, somethings for flooring (can be anything from newspaper to wood chips)

As for feeding here in UK most people fed frozen for my corns we defrost then warm up with hair dryer. Some of our corns we can just put food item in others we have to move around with a long pair of tweezers to get then snake interested.

Go for a corn fantastic range of colours and good temperament. Remember your corn can live to up to and over 15 yrs so make sure you really want it.

Good luck with what ever you decide and keep us posted.

Preita
11-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Hello and welcome :D

1) Corn Snakes are wonderful. I've never heard a bad thing about them and the colors. Ah, well you will find out soon enough.

2) Our big snake ate 1 full sized f/t (frozen thawed...already dead) mouse every 7 days. Thats about as big as they eat (some here have monsters that eat rats but I don't know if thats the usual).

3) Kathy Love's Corn Snake Manual is the best source of information you will find. Its fabulous and its inexpensive.

And personally, I know they say boa's make good first snakes, but I don't think so much. Corns at least stay relatively small, and I have heard of boa's and pythons going off their food for no reason.

I would cruz around here and absorb, its a fabulous source!

Lennycorn
11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
I made the mistake of just jumping in and brought one for my daughter. I didn't want a dead snake either and luckily found this site.
And I'm glade you did too.

Please do not go by the information that the pet store tell you. as you started to find out there are always different story. Just keep lurking here and read up. There is a search section on the top and down at the bottom there is a archive section too.

You will still get a few different opinions here too but this is more like a grey area than a totally one extreme to another.

I did see that you don't like to feed live mice because you had a pet rat. Well you might have too. sorry but that just the case. If the snake won't eat frozen/thaw feeder than live will have to do. You have to be ready to except that!!!! but most snake have no problems with f/t mice.

Well that my 2 cents for now

Good luck to you :cheers:

RavenWolf
11-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

wow I have learned more in short time I've been looking around this site then the past 2 months :)

firesnake13
11-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Try east bay vivarium. They are in Berkeley, ca but will ship. They are online and you can also call them with questions. I'm a newbie too and they have really helped alot and they don't try to sell you everything. They even recomended that I get the smaller, cheaper cage for now as our guy can escape from the larger, more expensive one I wanted. They also breed thier own corns and will ship. Good luck and enjoy!