PDA

View Full Version : amel het for opal

amel het for opal

dartguy
09-07-2002, 01:27 AM
I wonder what this would produce with a miami. I want candy canes but I wnoder what the het for opal would do?

Serpwidgets
09-07-2002, 01:44 AM
Statistically, looking at the amel and lav genes, and assuming the miami is not het amel...

You'd produce normals in the F1. They would be het for amel, and half of them would be het for lav.

Breeding these F1s to each other, you'd have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a pair that is also both het for lav. In that case, you'd get the standard 9:3:3:1 outcome of 9 normals, 3 amels, 3 lavs, and 1 opal. (statistically)

If none or one of the parents is het lav, you will only get normals and amels, in a 3:1 ratio.

So basically, the fact that the amel is het lav will probably not have a huge effect on your project. :)

However, realize that just because you are starting with an amel and a Miami, it doesn't mean you will have Candycanes in the F2. Ask anyone who has produced candycanes, and you will find out how much work it really is. ;)

Simon
09-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Oh yeah......
producing candy canes is a lot of work. You'll have to know what you are really looking for in hatchlings so they don't really dissapoint you when they are yearlings. Having miamis is a good start though. Candy canes are really selectively bred corn snakes. So it takes a lot of time and effort in order to produce something like Rich, Don, and Kathy has....but I just love them to death...I will be selectively breeding these candy canes myself....cause I just love them to death!

dartguy
09-08-2002, 03:21 PM
oh...I'll just probably get a pair of candy canes from rich and get a male miami to breed to my female miami-why reinvent the wheel I always say