PDA

View Full Version : not eating, just rubbing

not eating, just rubbing

permethius
11-11-2005, 12:43 PM
permethius is just rubbing thes side of his head on the food, what could this mean?

MegF.
11-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Is he due to shed? Could he have mites, or maybe something stuck in his mouth?

permethius
11-13-2005, 11:16 AM
hopefully he is due for shed, i dont know because he hasnt shed for the 4 months ive had him, as for mites what do they look like? if there was something stuck in his mouth could i do?

permethius
11-13-2005, 06:14 PM
can someone please help

coyote
11-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I have a Lampropeltis x Pantherophis hybrid who has always been an eager feeder. About three feedings ago she did the same thing, just cruised close to her meal for a moment, flicked her tongue at it, rubbed on it a few times then ignored it. I found the shed skin 3 days later.

This behavior could be related to your other thread about the indentation and lack of shed. If so you will find out shortly.

How is the humidity in the cage? You might assist the process by misting once a day until you see the shed skin.

coyote
11-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Are you keeping records on this snake?

I have a little composition book for each snake. In it I record everything regarding the snake in it. I can tell you when an animal last ate, what it ate, who the feeder supplier was, what the snake weighs, when it last shed, and how many sheds it has had since I got it. I also make notes of "personality", notable behavior changes, occurrence of problems like mites, treatment and treatment results. I even put a little picture of each snake inside the front cover of each record book. I affix subsequent pictures as the snake matures.

These records are pretty valuable as time goes on. They can help alert you when there is a problem, and give peace of mind when there is not.

TandJ
11-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I tend to think that Meg and Coyote are on the right track of a shed coming up..

Regards

permethius
11-13-2005, 08:08 PM
O.K. so finally hes going to shed! Hopefully any way. I started keeping track of everything when i got him. Then I got out of the swing of things when he didnt shed or anything realy happened for months and months. So if he sheds I will defintitley start keeping track of everything again.

permethius
11-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes!yes!yes!!!!! I Picked Up Permethius Today And He Has Fogged Over Eyes! Thank Goodness!

MegF.
11-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Good news! You'll have to post some post-shed photos!

permethius
11-15-2005, 02:43 PM
i wish i could, but i dont have a camera untill santa makes a trip :santa:

permethius
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
ok now his eyes cleared up for two days and he still hasnt shed? what is happening?

Mary-Beth
11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Just be patient a day or two longer. It'll happen any minute now! :D

Gintha
11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Sometimes takes a few days hehe... and it seems the more anxious we are.. the longer it takes!

permethius
11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I know really, as soon as I wake up or get home from school I bolt to the viv. I'm all excited I look in and, nope. Then it's like a dissapointment, but you still have to look every hour or so. :grin01:

permethius
11-17-2005, 03:09 PM
I just want to know, how do I make a wet hide?

MegF.
11-17-2005, 07:45 PM
I just mist my viv once a day, or drape a wet paper towel in the viv over the hide or branch that I have in there. Otherwise, you can take a hide or plastic tub and put some wet moss in it for him.

norsmis
11-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Are you keeping records on this snake?

I have a little composition book for each snake. In it I record everything regarding the snake in it. I can tell you when an animal last ate, what it ate, who the feeder supplier was, what the snake weighs, when it last shed, and how many sheds it has had since I got it. I also make notes of "personality", notable behavior changes, occurrence of problems like mites, treatment and treatment results. I even put a little picture of each snake inside the front cover of each record book. I affix subsequent pictures as the snake matures.

These records are pretty valuable as time goes on. They can help alert you when there is a problem, and give peace of mind when there is not.

You can also buy one of the leading reptile tracking softwares available such as the one I use, Deigi. (www.eyehit.com) Tracking does help tremendously.

As for your problem, many snakes will not eat before a shed and rubbing is definitely an indicator of a shed. try putting a bowl with slightly damp moss or a moist paper towel in the enclosure. It is not normal for a snake, if it is a young snake, to go 4 months without shedding. Mine usually shed every month at least. Dont worry about the not feeding unless it has been more than a month. Wait a few days and try again. Make sure the snake has plenty of fresh water available also.
Good Luck

permethius
11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
thank you, and ya it is a young snake so i dont know what the problem is, but hopefully he'll just keep growing. as for the wet hid , im putting one of those in tonight.

KatieL
11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Yay, after everything thats been going on (in this thread and your other one), I'm glad to hear he's finally getting ready to shed. I know the waiting for a shed is the hardest part...especially if it is your first one with a particular snake. Shortly after I acquired my newest snake she went blue, cleared up, and then we had to wait seven days before she actually shed...man was she beautiful afterwards though. Anyway, good luck with the shedding thing, and hopefully it comes out perfect. :) Can't wait for the pics after Christmas!

permethius
11-18-2005, 10:46 PM
yah me to! im so excited , he's finally going to shed!