PDA

View Full Version : Good News AND Bad News

Good News AND Bad News

JAG 32
11-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Well these couple of days have been interesting. First off, my amel looks like pepto-bismol and should be sheding any day now (good news). My creamsicle who had an incomplete shed while i was gone and when i looked at the shed i didnt notice. The tail tip turned black. We were in lansing yesterday for a MSH meeting when the vet who is a member took a look at my creamsicle. She did a mini amputation of the tail with her fingernail. She put cream on it, (the tail was about to fall off) kind of encouraged the tip off and then when it came off she put some triple anitbiotic on it. she is doing great now (good news). My okeetee has had some stress as he came with us to the meeting yesterday and he regurged (i'm pretty sure :shrugs: ). (bad news) I have some questions,

#1 - is it normal or even logical that a snake could regurge 6 days after feeding or could it just have been a really furry stinky poo?

#2 - Should I wait 10 days before attempting to feed again even if it was a furry poo ?( i WILL wait 10 if it was a regurge)

Any help is much appreciated, John

Gintha
11-13-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm far far FAR from being even knowledgable.. but to my understanding 6 days after eating is fairly impossible for a regure. I do know for sure tho, that poo can be quite furry.. and yes it stinks a LOT *gags* treasure's poo is furry looking a lot.. and stinks so bad it makes me puke.

JAG 32
11-13-2005, 03:22 PM
well i think it might be just a real nasty poo. He's been acting different lately

Gintha
11-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Maybe hes stressed out? I know when I took Treasure to the vet his poo was REALLY weird.. it was different colour than normal, and the urates looked like cornmeal suspended in light corn syrup.. they were tested tho.. and hes 100% healthy =D

Marcel Poots
11-13-2005, 03:38 PM
.. but to my understanding 6 days after eating is fairly impossible for a regure.

It does not happen very often but it is not impossible. I have seen regurges after 6 days. When snakes are in shed they tend to slow down their metabolisme. Food does not digest as quick as normal. So it could happen at that time.

Gintha
11-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Ohhhhh learn something new everyday =) Would a 6 day old regure look at all like a mouse still? Just curious, cause from my understanding a regurge looks NOTHING like poo hehe =)

Think we need to start a sticky on here with pic of normal snake things... poo, regurges, different shed phases... stuff all us newbs need to know hehe. I been looking for regurge pics for 3 weeks so I know what it looks like.. no luck ~,~

zwyatt
11-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Also, the fresher the poop the worse it is probably going to smell. With my snakes, when it's dry it's fairly undetectable, but when it's still fresh it can smell quite strong.

How often are you feeding him? If he is eating larger meals, it's my guess that he's probably eating every 7 days or so. If that's the case, and even if it isn't and he is eating every 5 days, there shouldn't be any problem in waiting 10 days to feed again. Good luck with him.

JAG 32
11-13-2005, 04:25 PM
yeah, hes eating every 6-7 days. I will wait 10 days just to be sure. The poo/regurge was VERY fresh.

MegF.
11-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Sounds more like poo to me. Regurge can have the fur of course, but it's usually kind of a black, slimy mess. My snakes all have hair in the poo now that they are eating larger prey items.