PDA

View Full Version : Only eats live

Only eats live

RAP
09-07-2002, 08:47 PM
I have one corn(Butter) that will only eat live mice. She took frozen mice when I first got her but she would not eat for several weeks at a time. She really goes for live but they are hard to come by and are more expensive. Any ideas on getting her to take up frozen again. I have tried feeding a small live then offering a small frozen right after but no luck.

statickaos
09-07-2002, 09:23 PM
Make sure the frozen is warmed up very well.. I put my mice in a glass of water for a while til they are thawed out.. Then take a hair drier and blow dry them til the fur is fluffy again.. Gives it enough heat, and a "live" look for the snake.. Then take hemostats (or as I do, pliers!) and swing the mice by its tail along the feeding box, or cage floor or above it.. Try to make it look realistic and move it around..

Beware: It'll scare the hell out of you once it goes after the food the first few times, lol.. I had my cell on vibrate and hooked to my back pocket first time i fed this way.. The cell started vibrating which made me jump then the snake snagged the mouse, talk about jumping outta your skin!

RAP
09-07-2002, 09:29 PM
lol

drizzt_19
09-07-2002, 10:20 PM
you may want to try a lizard scent for your frozen pinks, or mice. my striped corn would only eat live for the first few weeks. then i tried a frozen pink scented with lizard scent and bamm he eats frozen now.:cool:

Neil
09-08-2002, 05:15 PM
Or maybe a frozen pinkie with some anole skin wrapped around it. Or maybe feed a live one and then have a f/t one ready and line it up so the snake thinks it's only swallowing one item.

Jimmy C.
09-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Hey Neil,
Where excactly do you get Anole skins?? I think I have seen that posted on another thread, and I am sure you posted it. Do you actually skin the Anoles yourself? What do you do with the rest of the Anole??
Just thought I would ask.
Jimmy C.

Neil
09-11-2002, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure. I got the idea from another thread. I think the idea was to skin it yourself but there are easier ways.

LadyChaos
09-11-2002, 05:13 PM
you can also try Lizard Maker....lizard scent in a bottle. Personally I haven't had much luck with it, but it's worth a shot. The bait and switch works well too...I've used house geckos as they put up less of a fight when you hold them.